Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 ninja 750R F4 and the running lights and the gauge cluster lights are not working. It should have a fuse or would a wire that has lost contact be the problem?? the bike was just recently laid down, but i don't that has anything to do with it? if it was a bad fuse where would i look for it??? thanks for your help mike

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not entirely sure about a zx-7 but a fuse box would probably be under the seat, or under one side of the tail plastic.

You might want to pick up a fuse tester if all the fuses look good. Some fuses that look fine are still bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i found the fuses but i put a new one in then turn the key on and it bowed right away. i took all the black tape off the wires and looked for any grounded out wires. did find any, but now with a new fuse the main fuse in the battery wire keeps blowing. but without the running light fuse the bike runs fine.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
i found the fuses but i put a new one in then turn the key on and it bowed right away. i took all the black tape off the wires and looked for any grounded out wires. did find any, but now with a new fuse the main fuse in the battery wire keeps blowing. but without the running light fuse the bike runs fine.
You have a hard short to ground somewhere. Check the sockets the bulbs go in and the wires feeding them. There's no easy way to find the short, you just have to check all wires and sockets on that feed line.

Did the fall bash up on of the turn signal assemblies? That would be where I looked first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wreck broke the front turn signals but i replaced them the same way the originals were. would that be the problem at the front of the bike? because the back is fine.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
the wreck broke the front turn signals but i replaced them the same way the originals were. would that be the problem at the front of the bike? because the back is fine.
Blowing a fuse like that means you have a short to ground. One of the +12V feed wires to a light may have been crushed or pinched and that broke through the insulation. If You have the wires to the light reversed, that will put a ground line on the 12V wire and blow fuses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the turn signals work just fine and the hazards are fine as well i had someone tell me that it might be the switch?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
1. How do you know the turn and hazards are fine if it blows the fuse as soon as you turn the key on?
2. If the bike runs fine with the running light fuse removed and blows the main once you install the running light fuse, then the problem is in the running light circuit.

I don't have a wiring diagram for your bike but all that I've seen get the power to minor fuses after the ign switch. If the problem was in the switch it wouldn't change just by removing a minor fuse. Based on that, and the other information you've supplied, I'd say your problem is probably not in the switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts