Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I'm new to the forrum (and working on motorcycles in general) and wanted to get some advice from some seasoned riders. I bought a 1991 kawasaki eliminator 250 and have had nothing but problems from the start. I havent been able to get a spark no matter what I do. I took the plugs out, cleaned them, and tested them and didnt see a spark. I got new plugs and I'm still not getting anything. The wires going to the plugs seem to be in good condition, along with the ignition coils (I'm assuming those are the grey things that lead the wire to the plugs themselves). I cut the tape off all my wires leading to the coils to make sure they were in good condition, and besides a few spliced lines, they seem fine. Everything online is saying it may be a bad CDI box, but I wanted some advice before dropping 100 dollars on a bike I paid 200 dollars for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
988 Posts
Your bike has what Kawi calls an "igniter". There are many things besides an igniter that can cause a no-spark situation. Download a service manual, get a good multimeter and start troubleshooting. I would hate to see you buy an igniter when your old one turns out to be good. A new igniter for your bike is over $400.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts