Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off Im new here so hello to everyone.
I have been riding and wrenching on ATV's for about 15 years now and this Bayou has got me baffled. I tried to read through similar topics to see if my answer may already be here but I didnt see anything exactly like im going through. so here it goes:

Bought a used 92? used Bayou 300 4x4... the guy I got it from I have dealt with for years and is a straight shooter but he got it as a trade in not running....it had no spark so he bought a new CDI box for it....that didnt do it...so I got it thinking it was something easy like the coil..I bought new coil....nothing....I took out the stator had it tested....guy said he though it was ok...but wasnt to convincing....I then proceeded to follow all wires to see if I had a short/break some where....didnt find anything...... every once in awhile when plug was out in cap Id touch it to the frame etc. I would get a very weak spark and then nothing at all for hours......the only thing I havent replaced is the Stator and the little voltage regulator...Im at my wits end with this thing...any suggestions?
The only reason I havent stuck a rag in the tank and lit it on fire is because its in great shape and I know the original owner didnt use it much.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I am having the same exact problem with my '88 bayou 4X2. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have had the ignition coil checked and I have verified that the stator and pickup coil are within specs per a service manual. I have also checked all of the wiring and have not found anything wrong...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
allenbrand said:
Hi, I am having the same exact problem with my '88 bayou 4X2. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have had the ignition coil checked and I have verified that the stator and pickup coil are within specs per a service manual. I have also checked all of the wiring and have not found anything wrong...
Well I have checked the wiring harnesses,replaced the stator,pulser coil,ignition coil,both sylenoids in the back and have ordered a new cdi box and voltage regulator....One thing I found on mine was the person I bought it from bought a new cdi box....so I never thought to check it...but when I did I realized he put the wire harness on backwards and fried the new cdi......if it doesnt run once the new cdi and voltage reg. is put on...I give up.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just to let you know...I posted another thread on "Mechanics Corner" (88 bayou weak or no spark) and Ericthejet was gracious enough to try and help me there...Thank You. I was able to get mine started today by charging the battery...duh...I also noted on the thread how I replaced the CDI with a GM HEI ignition module ($15 compared to $400).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didnt know this at first. But these bikes need to have a fully charged batery to run. What I did was go to walmart and get a battery tender it stays plugged in and keeps the battery charged it was only 14.95. I also needed a cdi and put a gm ignition module in. It works great. just make sure you ground the module before pluging in any wires . The module i got was for an 85 chevy pickup with a 5.7. The modules can be sensitive but if you mess it up they are only 12 bucks compared to 400 for the cdi in my case that is more than i paid for the wheeler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got my cdi and rectifier/regulator and the beast has finally started and runs really good......:lol: my only question is the regulator/rectifier gets hot to the touch after running awhile....I am assuming this is normal because generally anything with coooling fins is supposed to run hot...am I correct or should this part not get hot?

·
Registered
1 Posts
bayou 1990 4*4 timing

in the last week, i changed my timing gear on my bayou 300 1990, the old one was to long, i did also an valves cleaning job, the head look to have no leaks,
based on discussion with friend., i placed the rotor at the `T` position in the small hole , and the cam head gear at
top-LF300, but the ignition sims to fire at a bad time , result: no start.

is there anybody who know exactly how to time this atv.

Thanks.
Pascal

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i placed the rotor at the `T` position in the small hole , and the cam head gear at
top-LF300, but the ignition sims to fire at a bad time , result: no start.
have to make sure that was on the "T" mark at TOP DEAD CENTER and not OVERLAP. pull the plug, stick a straw in the hole, pull your valve covers, turn the motor over till the straw comes up and the "T" lines up, check that both valves are CLOSED, you can tell this by moving the rocker arm up/down (or if you have a set of feeler guages you can check for clearance beteen the rocker tip and valve tip) could be your 180* off on your timing and the valves are hanging open.
good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you checked your Cdi and the brain box??

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Hey Brian, Welcome to the forums.

Many newbies reply to posts without first checking the date. Such as this one from 2006. Chances are his issues have long since been resolved. But thanks for trying to help him out.
Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts