Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Im posting this incase someone may be able to help give me some advice on what is going wrong. I will list everything i have done so perhaps something will help you to help me lol....
1. removed G6 carbs as it was spluttering on No2- took them apart to find some silicone in the main jet.Cleaned out carbs and reassembled
2. Installed the G7 carbs, with the inlet manifolds- but ended up removing them as they kept leaking regardless of repeated removal, cleaning, adjusting float hieght, replacing needle in No2 bank and it still leaked on that bank!. So removed the carbs and the inlets and installed the G6 carbs.
3. Bike has G6 carbs on it, which also leak regardless of anything i do.
A. cleaned carbs, reinstalled- still leaked
B. removed carbs adjusted float hieght from 12mm all the way up to 20mm- still leaked
C. drained two ltres of fuel and filtered to check for dirt and rust. Then removed the fuel tap- no visible rust!. Filtered through folded toilet roll!.
C. replaced needle valves with new pattern ones- still leaked
D. rechecked the petrol tank again- drained, filtered etc
E. with new pattern needles, replaces floats and readjusted the float hieght from 12, 15,17,20mm - still leaks
E. Installed an inline fuel filter yesterday, cleaned carbs- still leaks

Please note G6 and G7 carbs the valve seats are not removeable. This you can see from the parts fiche on CMSNL website under z550 G6 and G7 ( not sure if im allowed to put outside links).

Next week im taking it to the shop as i have completetly run out of ideas and hope that i can possibly fix what ever is causing the problem....
lol ive gone past logical to whacky possible ideas.. fuel mixture corrosive, pattern needle valves are a poor replacement ( which if the pattern float bowl gasket is anyting to go by makes its a 50/50), or perhaps needle vale has excessive side play causing it to not seal correctly???.

When i say it leaks i mean it will leak from any or all banks and it leaks that much it dribbles out of the carbs either into the engine or more often out of the airbox. The slides are sopping wet and it appears to ooze out of the airjet that connects to the main jet or from somewhere else or out of the hole that the slide needle sits in....

oh and my mpg sucks big time hahaha...... 32miles on 8 litres of fuel i guess 5-6 ltres have piddled on the floor.

If i cant solve it and the shop cant solve it, then i will have to sell the bike off whole or in parts, which greaves me to do, but would be the only option realistically open to me, as i cant justify putting more money into buying another set of used hand carbs and new ones are more than the bike is worth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
here's an update on my carb problems.
Have the G6 carbs sorted so they dont leak. Turned out there was some real problems with one of the valve seats, that wasnt exactly visible to the eye. The float heights were set using the kawasaki tool but now i have new problems!.
The bike runs lean on all four plugs. All plugs are white. It wont idle unless i turn the tick-over up. By turning the tickover up when you rev it, it will hold the rpm's at about4thou and might continue or slowly drop off.

Ive sprayed loads of wd40 around the inlet manifold joints and i cant see any bubbling,no change in rpm's or white smoke. The manifolds look in good condition and the carbs are instlled correctly.
Ive checked the choke mechanism and its working fine.
The pilot screws are at 2 1/2 turns out
the bike is runing on standard jets with a standard airbox ith its filter in.

I pulled the slides out and they all have a small amount of petrol on them, but not dripping wet, but if it was leaking on all four again then the plugs should be tan-black/ wet not white!.

Oh and i bought new sparkplugs for it which are currently installed.

So far i have spent
£48 on carb kit
£55 float work
£10 on spark plugs

im on the verge of getting rid of the bike, and sticking with my ultra reliable Honda Cb100n with its cg125 engine - untill i can afford to buy a new bike.
Unfortuantly Kawasaki offer nothing in the 550-600cc range that i like. The bike i currently like is the XJ600n (uk)

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Do you have the airbox installed with a good filter? Does the bike have any exhaust or intake mods that would increase flow? You mentioned checking for leaks on the inlets but what about the airbox side rubber connectors?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have the airbox installed with a good filter? Does the bike have any exhaust or intake mods that would increase flow? You mentioned checking for leaks on the inlets but what about the airbox side rubber connectors?
The bike is 100% standard, other than a Motad exhaus system, which doesnt need rejetting. It has the main filter in it but not the smaller filter that is in the mouth of the airbox. This has never been a problem before.

None of the rubbers from the airbox are leaking.

ITs all very strange to me, that adjusting the carb settings for balancing seems to make no diffrence, or should i say improovement.

On Wed's this week a mechanic who repiared my carbs is coming out to assess the situation, which thankfully he isnt going to charge me for. Hopefully he will diagnose the problem and ill know what the problem(s) are and how much im looking at the sort it. I will post the results of that meeting

thanks for your responce :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks for all input the bike is sorted now!.
new needle valves at £48
carb float level set up using the kawasaki tool £55
pilot settings adjusted from 2 1/2 to 4 turns out
Carbs balanced for £30

Now my bike idles perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.