Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new guy and looking for inteligent info and suggestions.
I picked up a 1992 KZ 1000 police bike.I am going to change it into a street bike.
I have it stripped down to the frame and sending things off to the powder coater.
My question is: I don't want to use the police wiring on the bike, they don't offer a harness for a stock 92 KZ.
My understanding is that they stopped producing a regular KZ in 1984ish but kept building the police KZ bike.
My thought is to use the all the electrical from a 1984 KZ.
Any thoughts? and or suggestions

Thank you in adavnce
rrod52

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
My thought is, what's wrong with police wiring? It may have a few extra wires for lights and sirens but it would be easy to remove those if they bother you. You could run into some issues swapping harnesses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thought also.The original wire harness is brittle and butchered up a bit.
Figured I would just change everything.
appreciate your comment
rrod52

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Ok I see your logic but unless you can buy a new harness (which may be hard to find) the 1984 harness is likely to be in worse shape than the 1992 harness you currently have.

Have you considered rebuilding the harness you have? It's a labour of love but doable since all of the terminals, connectors and wire is available from third party suppliers. You just need to invest in a good crimping tool and remember to only replace one wire at a time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey folks
Ok I found a guy that will rebuild my police wire harness,and remove what I don't need.
Thank you WFO-KZ for your input....I am sure there will be more questions

rrod52

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
That's great news. Just holler if you need more help. I once rode a brand new 1977 KZ1000 police bike. We were prepping the bike before the police took delivery so someone had to take it out for a test run. 😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts