Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

A good buddy of mine gave me a '92 Ninja. He doesn't have time to ride it anymore or work on it, so now I have it. THe problem that I'm having is that a friend of mine who was helping me work on it tried to shift through gears with the front sprocket cover off, and now I can only get it into 2nd gear. I noticed that there was a problem when I saw gear oil leaking out of the shifter shaft right after he did it. Since I don't really feel like blowing the engine doing 65mph in 2nd gear, does anyone have any ideas as to what he might have done?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MORE INFORMATION

Do you have neutral or only second? Cut to the chase...If the bike has been setting a while the clutch plates will sort of glue themselves together. This sounds terrible but it may work. Drain as most of the transmission oil as you can and replace it with diesel. Diesel is petroleum based and you won't destroy anything like gears or clutch plates doing this the old fashion way. Allow the clutch out and drive it around normaly and try shifting into different gears. Keep it up for about 30 minutes. If it doesn't shift let it cool for a couple hours then try it again...(If it shifts into neutral then back into second and the clutch is working then it's not the clutch, but at least you have thouroughly cleaned the transmission, and you know that the problem most likely lies with the shifting fork... drain the diesel and then put the regular oil back in it. You will be surprised at tha junk that comes out of the transmission when you drain the diesel. If you get the service manual you can do the job...personally I'd call my mechanic job and assist him with sandwiches and soda, then when the job was completed treat him to all the pizza and beer he could drink, let spend the night so that he doesn't get run over nhis impaired state...and both go riding early the next morning!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try losening the shifter (the lever your foot presses to change gears) and pulling the lever off and putting it on in a slightly different position. I beleive you had to remove it to get the sprocket cover off, and sometimes if they are put on just a little different they wont alow you to get into some gears. I usually mark them before I take then off. I hope that helps ya. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts