Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am having a particularly strange problem. If I drive my bike bike like a normal man (maybe less than this), it runs fine but as soon as I 'give it' for a while, all of a sudden the bike stalls (like it's out of gas). If I sit on the side of the road for a couple of minutes the bike starts up right away with no hesitation but if I try and start it right away I will just end up killing the batery. I have cleaned out my tank (and pet ****), new fuel filter added, carbs are all clean, new plugs and the wires are all good.

Any ideas??

I heard a rumor that this problem was prone on these bikes in this year range. Can any one validate this and maybe even offer up a link to the details.

Thanks for your time

Regards
Todd

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
STALLING

I'd first have to ask you if you're temp is rising, and what type of iol you are using...one of the first things that I would do is to replace your fuel filter and find a solid one not plastic. Do you have a new airfilter, and if it is a K&N is it properly oiled? It sounds like it could be electrically related... if it is relatevly easy to get to the plugs then I would have you put a radio shack aligator clip wire in your pocket nad go ride the bike till it quits then quickly pull teh plug and hook it to the frame and to the plug and see if it is firing bright blue or just a weak redish color. Are your carbs sync'd and when was the last time you have had your valves adjusted? Seriously..sounds like heat is the problem. IF you have the fire when the bike quits...then go have your valve clearance adjusted and sync your carbs...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last summer i had same probs, it always came up when was little left gasoline. Sometimes help (i think..) if i turn choke on for some time. I think there was some crap in carbs..
I chance fuel filter in winter and it was dirty! This summer no problems :roll: yet..

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The vaccum diaphram in the petcock might be bad. The one on my 500R started malfunctioning, $12 bucks for a replacement piece from www.bikebandit.com

just a thought. You could also have a vaccum leak somewhere that was causing the problems.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What kind of shape was the inside of your tank when ya cleaned it? Sounds like a fuel delivery prob to me such as trash in fuel filter or petcock. Had similar probs with mine, when you are setting on the side of the road you are allowing the fuel to fill the bowls then once you run the bowls dry you are back on side of the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the winner is Freakinout. Thanks for all the effort guys. I changed the the diaphram in the petcock for $25 and voila everything is great. Seems that a piece of the flimsy rubber gasket was getting sucked into the diaphram area that creates the vaccum which blocked it and shut off the fuel valve. This only happened when the bike was being throttled and a higher vaccum was created in the diaphram. Everything looks good now.

Regards
Todd

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GOOD

Great Tod, and Freakinout, yet another notch in your toolbox! Good call!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad to know its sorted for you!

I know this is a little late, but I will add it anyway.

My bike ( US Import ) ZX6-D has always had an issue with similar problems.

Once it cut out totally and I could not get it started at all

It turned out to be a crack down the length of the vacuum pipe... Invisible until I completely stripped the whole thing down ( Fuel lines anyway - not the whole bike )

Another issue that I just have notyet managed to cure 100% is that it has a little bit of a flat spot at about 7-8000rpm... So much so, that it can often fail to overtake unless I drop it down a couple and thrash the arse off it.

Annoying because at 6 and 9k its mental, but in between its a wet hanky

I am not totally bothered by it, it just means that I keep the revs piled high thats all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts