Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
4,149 Posts
Your master cylinder seals could be leaking and/or your slave cylinder seals could be leaking.

Did you verify that the tiny relief port in the reservoir is free and clear?
Which friction disks did you settle on?
What thickness are your steel plates?
Did you replace the spring?

·
Super Moderator
11,084 Posts
someone said the hydraulic clutch is not as smooth as the cable clutch but I don't believe its the way it was intended to work.
I thoroughly disagree with this. My last 3 bikes have had hydraulic clutches and all are smooth as silk.

Do you have aftermarket levers? Some Yamaha models have problems when a few are installed.

Have you looked at the lever/bushing assembly, like disassemble, inspect, clean and lube? I had one bike where (through my own negligence) the pushpin from the reservoir wore into the soft lever.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I hope I'm not being redundant, but when I do a clutch, I always put in stock or firmer clutch springs. The last clutch job I did had the springs .020" within tolerance. The new ones were 1 mm (.03937") thicker. They give a wide range for springs, which I think is just not wise. They do experience fatigue. Also, as the previous posters said, the Master Cylinder may need rebuilding, and you may have to do the same to the slave cylinder. I've had goot luck with Hydraulic clutch set ups. Liquid does not compress. You just may need to think as the clutch as a "system" of the bike, repair and fix that whole system, then you know for sure. As is stands, you've done the main part, but the other parts may not be allowing the clutch to engage properly. :)

·
Registered
1993 Vulcan 88 VN1500A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Your master cylinder seals could be leaking and/or your slave cylinder seals could be leaking.

Did you verify that the tiny relief port in the reservoir is free and clear?
Yes I have, fully replaced the flued and checked all the ports.

Which friction disks did you settle on?
OEM from Kawasaki

What thickness are your steel plates?
standard 2mm

Did you replace the spring?
indeed I have, again stock OEM

·
Registered
1993 Vulcan 88 VN1500A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
1) what oil do you use?
Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil. (standard oil, not semi or fully synthetic)

2) how many steel plates and how many friction plates in your clutch?
7 and 8

·
Administrator
4,149 Posts
Also, now that I think of it, did you soak your friction plates overnight in oil?
It helps to swell them up.

It seems as if there is looseness somewhere in the clutch assembly and that is causing the clutch to slip. You could also try the optional thicker plates.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts