Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm newbie hear and would like to ask a few questions about kx125 clutch. The bike has been unused for 5 years when I bought it. Cleaned the carb and fitted a new plug, idles now perfect! ;)
About the clutch, I removed the plates(mass/steel), seemed abit worned but the mass plates still had wear surface left. When the bike idles and I pull the lever in and put 1st in the idle speed get lover/the bike stalls? Normally every each other is a mass/steel plate but after 4-5 plates there were two steel plates one after another and the other had small holes in it?? Normal? I cleaned the plates and changed new oil, any ideas?

The adjust near the clutch lever is almost end(unscrewed), should I try the another adjustment screw? Are there any pictures somewhere were I can see the plates(all of them)? In the kawa manuala it only shows the 1st and last?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm newbie hear and would like to ask a few questions about kx125 clutch. The bike has been unused for 5 years when I bought it. Cleaned the carb and fitted a new plug, idles now perfect! ;)
About the clutch, I removed the plates(mass/steel), seemed abit worned but the mass plates still had wear surface left. When the bike idles and I pull the lever in and put 1st in the idle speed get lover/the bike stalls? Normally every each other is a mass/steel plate but after 4-5 plates there were two steel plates one after another and the other had small holes in it?? Normal? I cleaned the plates and changed new oil, any ideas?

The adjust near the clutch lever is almost end(unscrewed), should I try the another adjustment screw? Are there any pictures somewhere were I can see the plates(all of them)? In the kawa manuala it only shows the 1st and last?

Thanks!
Ok, no answer :-o
Got new steel and mass plates! Steel plates have the other side abit rounded and the other is sharp, any difference which way I put those?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Some will say beveled engine towards motor and sharp edge towards pressure plate, but Barnett and myself say it does not matter as long as you are consistent and faces the edges all one way.

They are stamped out and it is a result of the manufacturing process not design.

Sounds like you need a new clutch cable soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Opened the clutch yesterday. Changed new mass plates and got the problem solved. Every each other should be a massplate, so throwed away the one steel plate with holes! :)
The previous owner said that there's something wrong with the clutch, yes it was! I dont know why there was an extra steel plate, maybe someone has tried to get the clutch pack thicker... But now it has 7 new mass plates and 6 steel plates as it should! Starting with a mass plate and so on! And ther's plenty of adjusting space in the cable also! =)

·
Registered
917 Posts
On newer bikes sometimes there is an extra spacer plate with the OEM clutch, but aftermarket clutches rarely ask you to use it. I cant image this is the case for a 94 125, but it just goes to show-without opening the motor up, you never really know how incompetent the previous owner was.

Fortunately for you, that bonehead move might have caused the previous owner to use the bike less. And if the bike wasn't over-revved, cause the clutch was dragging, it should be awhile before it needs to be rebuilt.

To me that screw-up would probably be a good thing to find, I dont see that doing any damage.

Did you replace the springs?
I wouldn't be too concerned if you didnt, springs (if right material/heat treated) last a long time, retaining force exerted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not change the springs yet, the dealer didn't have those in stock.
But now the clutch is working perfect.

On newer bikes sometimes there is an extra spacer plate with the OEM clutch, but aftermarket clutches rarely ask you to use it. I cant image this is the case for a 94 125, but it just goes to show-without opening the motor up, you never really know how incompetent the previous owner was.

Fortunately for you, that bonehead move might have caused the previous owner to use the bike less. And if the bike wasn't over-revved, cause the clutch was dragging, it should be awhile before it needs to be rebuilt.

To me that screw-up would probably be a good thing to find, I dont see that doing any damage.

Did you replace the springs?
I wouldn't be too concerned if you didnt, springs (if right material/heat treated) last a long time, retaining force exerted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.