Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ~

Questions for a mechanic who knows this type of bike.
My wife let her 1995 EX 500 sit for about a year and a half with out stabilizing the fuel or anything...

She wants to get it running now and it is my job to do so...lol.

I have replaced the plugs (they needed to be changed), emptied the fuel tank, and took out the carbs, dropped the bowl and cleaned all remaining fuel out of internal parts. Air filter was cleaned.

Everything is now put in back in place and with a half of gallon of fuel put into tank, the bike turns over but stalls immediately. It actually revved up for me once (about 3 seconds worth) but stalled right there after...(no coughing, or sputtering, just stalled).

Does this point to a possiblility of bad gas still in the carb?
How about when I took the carbs out, the throttle body could have been put back in at a different place so that may be a cause, if so how to fix that?
The battery is almost dead, but I have a powerpac to start it and that is very strong.

Any suggestions on the next few steps?

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No electronic fuel pump. All the lines were clear when I put them back on and I din't take the carb completely apart. I realize some areas of the carb could still be gummed up, so without taking the whole carb apart, how do I "ungum" those areas?
Throttle body spray the lines/anywhere I can spray?

·
Registered
26 Posts
+1, remove the pilot jets and clean them, make sure you can see light throught them before reinstall. While your in there, install an inline fuel filter if you havent already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts