Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 95 ninja 500 and it had 2 year old gas and a rusted gas tank, I cleaned all of the rust out of the tank and tried to clean the carbs a bit but it didn’t seem like it helped much but it did a little, I adjusted the idle screw and it will start now without me needed to give it gas and hold it but it is very rough and isn’t steady, there is also a lot of smoke out of the exhaust first bike I’ve owned or worked and have never worked on carbs on don’t really know what I’m looking for or at any help is appreciated https://youtu.be/O9lN32npth4
https://youtu.be/5f8WH0-kstE
Links for the idling and smoke

·
itching to ride
2,215 Posts
I can't tell by the videos but does it have the stock airbox or some sort of individual air filters, aka pods? Or was that with no air filters at all? There seemed to be a bit of hesitation, or throttle lag, which could be due to running without an airbox or such, or partially plugged pilot jets.

I have had pretty good luck cleaning carburetors by soaking them for 24 hours in pine-sol and then using compressed air to blow thru all the passages. It was running so you probably do not have to go through that but maybe run some seafoam thru it and see if that will help.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I have had pretty good luck cleaning carburetors by soaking them for 24 hours in pine-sol

When was the last time you used pine-sol to do the carburetors? I'm asking because pine-sol changed their formula at least 5-7 years ago & it no longer contains pine oil. I have no idea how good the new stuff works on carburetors, but it smells awful as it no longer has the nice pine aroma. I think some of the off-brand pine cleaners still contain pine oil. Pine-O-Pine has 30% or something like that, significantly more than what the old/original pine-sol had.

·
itching to ride
2,215 Posts
Martin I recently did mine again because they sat for some time with old gas in them and the fuel had turned into a jell type gunk but I used a generic store brand. I do not use the pine-sol brand on carbs as I feel the extra cost just is not worth it.

I did not know that about the pine-sol brand. Thanks for the info.

I just looked (because I strain and reuse the oil) and it is pine o pine. According to a Kroger ad it contains 30% pine oil which is what you had stated.
https://www.instacart.com/kroger/products/16657951-pine-o-pine-disinfectant-cleaner-deodorant-28-fl-oz

·
itching to ride
2,215 Posts
Just a note for anyone thinking about soaking their carbs the way I did. I would not soak them much longer than a day, or 24 hours. My son in law soaked his but left them soaking for at least 3 days and they were a mess. It was like the extra soaking undid any good that had occurred.

Now I have dipped my carbs in Berryman's chem dip in the past but I like the pine cleaner method better. It just did a better job for me and the stuff is not caustic like Berryman's. Plus it does not hurt rubber seals and I believe Berryman's says to remove all seals and gaskets.

The pine cleaner will actually rejuvenate rubber somewhat. I had used wintergreen oil in the past but accidentally found out pine oil works too the first time I soaked my carbs in pine. They will swell if left in too long so if you are using it for that be mindful of the soak time. I have treated old carb ducts until I could buy new ones and it does an ok job in a pinch but there is nothing like new rubber.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Thanks. I cleaned a fuel petcock with a bona fide pine cleaner & it came out pretty good, but it wasn't that bad in the first place, so not the greatest testimonial. hee. When I did my carburetors, I soaked the metal parts & carb bodies overnight in the good Berryman's carburetor/parts cleaner that's now NLA >> it's kind of similar to their Professional Parts Cleaner now available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts