Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here and I am having trouble getting my bike to start. As topic suggests my bike is a 1996 Vulcan 500. I have not had the bike long myself and when i first got it, it ran fine. I took it home had a friend store in his garage (my first mistake) and he broke it. He broke the clutch rod and stripped the clamp around it. I replaced those parts after taking a long time for me to come up with the money. Once I took it back home it quit starting. I took the carb off and cleaned it, replaced the battery, did the ether test, spark plugs were in good condition. So at that point I was convinced something was wrong with the carb. So i took the carb off once again and took it to my friends dad. He checked it out and said someone messed with the air fuel mixture screws. He readjusted them but to the specs of an earlier model. Will that be a problem? So far I have put the carb back in and tried to start it. No luck! I checked the battery and seemed to be low so I started charging it. When I came back to it I noticed gas all over ther place. I am guessing I missed getting a hose on all the way. Which I will have to check tomorrow when its light out. So my main question is this, once it get the hose on all the way and my bike still does not start what should i look for next?
Sorry for the long history I just wanted to be clear on what I have done and how things were done in my case.
Also before the bike quit running if I pulled the choke even 1/2 then the engine would flood.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
First thing to do would be to determine if it's lack of spark or fuel that is causing it not to start. The fact that you had it stored for a while would lead me to suspect it's a fuel related problem and most likely caused by some varnish buildup. Did you try starting it w/o choke and just spraying some starting fluid into the carb? Did it fire up? If it did, how long did it run for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spark is strong and I did in fact anticipate the fuel. I drained out all the fuel before putting the carb back in and the carb was recently clean as well. I apologize for not mentioning that beforehand. As I said in my first post I do not pull choke out to attempt to start the bike. And as for the starting fluid into the carb I will attempt that tomorrow and I will let you know if it does anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my air/fuel mixture screws are not adjusted properly. Anyone know where I can find or tell where it should be. And as for the starting fluid into the carb did not do anything. everything is running out and i thought it was because of a hose but it is not. It looks like the fuel is coming out of the air box.
UPDATE:I backed the screws out some and got a different response from my bike. So I am charging battery now and will attempt again.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
If you are still having problems getting it started or keeping it running, my advice is to check the carb synchronization and float levels.

If they are badly out of sync you may have to pull the carbs to set them, then get the carburetor put back in and do a vacuum sync.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.