Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the bike with 5,800 miles on it a few weeks ago and was told it had sat in the garage for two years. He said before it was put away he had almost $800.00 in work done to it. And I just needed to drain the old gas and add new gas to get it running right. Well I drained and added new fuel and still, it would only run with the choke on. Next I dismantled all the carbs and cleaned, twice to be exact. I messed up the air idle screw positions and it ran even worse. I brought it to the local Kawasaki dealer and was told that a carb cleaning and re-syncing was all that was needed to get it running right, for the low cost of nearly four hundred bucks. I got it back and it still wasn't running right. I brought it back and they went through it again. This time they tried to rip me off by adding $50.00 worth of plugs I didn't approve or ask for (a whole other story) this was after they had bead blasted the old plugs and after I had inspected the plugs before any work was done and they looked brand new. They also said they re-synced the carbs and blamed my installation of a slip-on pipe for the poor running condition. I got the bike back again with the stock muffler reinstalled and it seemed fine. but then today i took it out and the ambient temp was a little lower. the bike idle speed varies from 900 to 1300 rpms, i try to go from a stop and the bike stalls or loses power, then as the rpms climb through 3000 to 4500 rpm it loses power as well. I didn't leave the local shop on good terms and i don't believe this bike is right yet. What should I do, their work is supposed to be warranted for two weeks but I refused to pay for the spark plugs the last time I left. And to top it all off the last time I picked up my bike they left the fuel level sensor unplugged, so I had to repair that too. I'm tempted to buy some used carbs on ebay and just start all over. I don't know what to do from here

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds a bit like carb-icing, thought that was a UK problem though.

I understand how cheesed-off you must feel but new plugs would probably help ,did they say the old ones were definitely no good?

If so how did they balance the carbs? They obviously did a poor job if the idle is all over the place like that.

Check the pilot-screw positions on each carb and level them up if they aren't then buy or borrow some carb-gauges if possible and re-balance them.

When the bike is running you could check there are no air-leaks by spraying east-start
or similar around the inlet-manifold rubbers, lots of advice around the forum about all of this, have a search, good-luck m8.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should elaborate. they did re-sync the carbs. I took it out today and the low range from idle to about 4,000 rpm is very weak, it wants to bog, choke and stall, I really have to get the revs up and work the clutch to get going. The spark plugs already looked brand new before, they had changed them, then when they did the original work they told me they media blasted the spark plugs. When I brought it back they told me the work was warrantied and it just needed to be re-synced. After going through the bike again they said they thought new spark plugs might help and they had already installed them, might! The problem is they never asked me if it was alright to install them and took advantage of the fact that my bike was not fixed the first time. Why did they give it back the first time if it wasn't all set? Besides, I saw two other people picking up their bikes while I was there and they were both yelling at the mechanic for the same reasons. They're bikes were not fixed after multiple trips to the shop and they were just throwing parts at the bikes and ringing up peoples tabs.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Three of you there with poor work done, i'd trust nothing they'd said or done mate :(

Really sounds like your carbs are still gobbed-up, did you soak them in a good cleaner and use compressed air to blow the bodies through?

Are the plugs CR9EKs and the pilot-screws set to around 1 1/2-1 3/4 turns out?

Make sure the choke=plungers are fully returning when you knock it off.

The low-speed running problem you describe is mostly pilot-circuit and progression so concentrate there for now plus checking fuel-level or float-height.

Also check the vacuum ports (under each inlet-manifold) aren't open to the atmosphere :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: bike still running horrible in low RPM range, from idle to about 4,000rpms, another thing I've noticed is its worse when its colder out and I noticed that when I rev the throttle at a stop the motor revs then hesitates as if its going to stall before returning to idle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it possible the problem is not in the carburetors but somewhere else like the electrical system, i cleaned the carbs twice and the shop said they cleaned them too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and what is progression? Two more questions, do you know the float height in millimeters, and would a Muzzy slip-on exhaust cause these kinds of problems?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Cleaned idle jets one more time, I soaked them for about an hour and blew them out with a hundred psi, I thought I felt something fly out of one of them and hit me in the cheek. Next, I set float heights to factory specs by bending tabs, most of them were within the acceptable range but I got them pretty much perfect at 13mm a piece. Next, I re-jetted the carbs with the Dynojet kit using the biggest jets it came with. At reassembly of bike I replaced stock air filter with the K&N filter. I fired up the bike with the choke on, rpms never got over three thousand, I knew something was different this time. I turned off the choke and bike idled right down to 1100 rpms and stayed right there, no fluctuation at all. I revved the throttle and rpms rose right up with no hesitation, motor sounded and felt ten times better. I took it out around a few blocks and oh boy, what power, pump the throttle and right off the ground the front wheel will come. cruising speed and the motor stays perfectly solid. MY BIKE IS FIXED!!!! I can't believe it. I just need some better weather to get out now. thanks for the advice people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts