Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm a new rider who purchased a VN 800 a month ago. I have been using this site to read through posts concerning bike issues and at home fixes, so I decided to join since I have picked up a few tricks here. I wanted to introduce myself, and more importantly, my bike.

Like I said, I'm a new rider. This is my first bike which I picked up second hand. The previous owner liked to tinker with it, but I can't say he was much of a mechanic. I have found and fixed some issues already, but there is plenty more for me to do, as well as some upgrades I would like to make.

I have a pretty bad issue with backfire. I tried jetting the carb to alleviate the backfire which did nothing, and only afterward did I replace the exhaust (back to stock). I don't know what the exhaust was, I think it was fabricated (no brand visible, welding lines very visible, only secured by the header bolts) as it was causing a good loss of power and (due to missing exhaust gaskets:shock: ) was leaking from the side of the header. Still backfires, though not as badly. I noticed fuel in the air filter now though, and have no idea how to explain that (hopefully a result of backfire?)

Anyhow, right now I'm looking into how to relieve the backfire, and some suggestions. I am waiting on the gaskets to arrive, hoping that will have a MAJOR impact, but won't hold my breath for miracles. I can't afford to get new pipes just yet (but I'm saving, so any suggestions are welcome) so I read up on The Wolf's website how to remove the baffles from the stock pipe so I don't sound like a riding lawnmower in the meantime:oops: .

Questions: performed stage one jetting already - any negative effect with stock pipes? Also, any ideas about why I would have fuel in my air filter? One more, would a new or modified intake help with backfire? And one last one, anyone know where I can pick up decent pipes for less than $300?

Thank you all for reading my novel of a post. Thank you all in advance for any advice as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Stage 1 should be fine with a stock pipe. The exhaust gaskets will have a very desired effect I am sure. I am ready to say though that the stage one is a guideline, I would consider going back to stock when you get the gaskets. Getting it running right stock is a very good thing before you start tweeking.

Gas in the air filter: check your oil, make sure it does not smell like gas. If it does, drain it before running it again. Then we can look into the why. Otherwise I will put my money on the filter smelling like gas due to the gaskets in the exhaust. Don't refill until you solve the problem, or you will waste the oil and money.

As for the aftermarket pipes, ebay and local adds and search long and hard: that is how I make my purchases like that. Of course, I am still riding stock exhaust, and if they don't like my lawn mower sound, then there is that "they don't have to look or ride" attitude.

I do like aftermarket exhausts, just the only one that is close to OEM quality for me costs close to $500 new. Otherwise I seem to see things that sounds like the junk you pulled off for under $300.

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the gaskets in, sounds, starts and rund much better. I'm not even able to make it backfire anymore. Still noticing some fuel in the filter however. Oil does not smell like anything but oil though. I will go back to stock on the jetting until I get different pipes or intake here soon. Hopefully that will put a cap on the issues. I am thinking the jetting with stock intak and exhause is making it run too rich, cuasing the fuel in the filter. We'll see. I'll make sure to leave an update when I have one.

Thanks!

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boy, can I spell or what!?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts