Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding a cold bike the clutch works fine. After about 10 minutes clutch will start to slip when excellerating. Eventually will disengage completely and bike will not move at all. Any idea's? :confused:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
rocky123 said:
When riding a cold bike the clutch works fine. After about 10 minutes clutch will start to slip when excellerating. Eventually will disengage completely and bike will not move at all. Any idea's? :confused:
What type of oil are you using? Syntheic or Dino oil?

How many miles are on the clutch?

Have you tried adjusting the clutch?

It may be time for a spring replacement or possibly a clutch overhaul. You may want to read this info if you think the clutch has seen better days.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
whistle clean said:
What type of oil are you using? Syntheic or Dino oil?

How many miles are on the clutch?

Have you tried adjusting the clutch?

It may be time for a spring replacement or possibly a clutch overhaul. You may want to read this info if you think the clutch has seen better days.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm
Whistle has got you covered .Depending on the milage ,more than likely the spring is the colpret. Other 1500 owner's are changing to the meanstreak spring or the 1600 spring. From what I've read elsewhere this is not an uncommon problem. With the age an possible milage you might want to change the clutch plates as well. (since you'll be in there anyway) IT's not a problem if you can fix it.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
ispeed77 said:
chucks, do you know if that is a direct changeout, going to the 1600 spring ?
David from how I understand it the 1600 spring is actually the meanstreak spring to begin with . The quick way to find out is go to www.buykawasaki.com an look up part number's (meanstreak an 1600) an see if there both the same .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All...

My 96 1500 clutch is a bit high, and when going from 1st to 2nd in low RPM's it shifts fine, but when you kick it up it sometimes misses second and could take 3-4 toe lifts / heal stomps to get it into 2nd. So, I ride nice and easy until 2nd gear and than go for it if needed (bad for entering a busy highway fro a stop). Dn shifting is fine. I bought the bike used with no maint history, but it is a great bike and the ball & chain loves it... Do you think changing the spring could help this issues too? I had ideas that it was a clutch issue, or possibly the neutral sensor, but I am used to fixing dirt bikes - not cruisers.

Thanks, Tbone NY

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
the positive neutral finder system seems to be the culprit of missed upshifts, or not quite solid upshifts. you are lucky to have the heel/toe and i would recommend just using your heel when you want a solid upshift and a hard acceleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1997 1500 Vulcan Clutch spring change

Hi, I followed Gadget's instructions and everything went as he wrote. It was as simple and very smooth. Hardest part was retorquing the main 27mm nut back on as Gadget did not explain how to do this without the motor turning over. So this is what I did. Yelled for wife to come out to garage. Told her to sit on bike and put it in 1st gear and hold front brake. I then pushed the rear brake pedal while it is off the bike and laying on floor, then with my free hand proceeded to push torque wrench till I heard the click. It may be tighter than it needs to be as I did put it back on with air wrench but I just wanted to make sure. Then I had to go inside and thank the wife. About a half an hour later went back to the garage and finished job.

Took it out for a test drive and all is good no more slipping. I even took it through all 4 gears very hard, up hill, and still no slip. Thank you GADGET for your help on this. VULCANKAW ......... Oh and I also wanted to say that the tangs on the spring were very worn. Bike has 28500 miles.

·
99 Vulcan Classic
5 Posts
same problem as original post

I have a 99 Vulcan Classic with 21,000 miles. Bike is stock except for Vance Hines exhaust.

When bike is cold the clutch works fine. After about 15 minutes when the bike heats up the clutch starts to slip on acceleration. The hotter it gets the worse it slips. Then the clutch stops working completely. While riding down the road, while the bike is in gear, and no matter how hard I rack the throttle, the bike won't budge. Just before it stops working completely racking the throttle will bring back some of the functionality, but after a few minutes this stops working and the bike is stranded on the road.

Been stranded three times.

So far I have replaced the clutch spring and washers with stock parts. I could tell a difference and the clutch seemed to work better and released at the handle grip earlier instead of releasing wayyyy late.

I wanted to replace the clutch plates but the dealer did not have them in stock. I looked at the clutch plates and they do not look excessively worn at all. They still have deep grooves in the plates.

But the problem persists. I put the clutch spring in and promptly got stranded on the road night before last again. This is really ****ing me off.

I read where you guys said to drain the oil and make sure the oil is the correct oil. I plan to do that too. If it is the oil, will the new oil promptly hit the plates, wash them out, and rectify the problem?

What would be the best oil to use for the 99 Vulcan Classic? I live in Arkansas to give you a climate fix i'm running in.

I also read your tips on kickstand and clutch safety switch. I plan to disable them too. If any of you have any instructions or tips on how to do this I would appreciate it. Should I just clip the wire on the clutch switch safety switch, and tie "all" the wires together on the remaining wire, on the handlebar end of the wire?

On the kickstand switch, how should I do that exactly?

And...considering the symptoms, that it gets hot in the same pattern and stops working, it doesn't seem like it would be the switches does it? What do you pros think?

You guys rock on this forum. Lots of very knowledgeable people here. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

·
experienced rider
6 Posts
Hi Y'all. My 2001, 1500 drifter has the opposite issue with her clutch. She slips only when I twist the wick too much, when the engine is COLD. But once she warms up to optimum temp,....she grabs real good. So as long as I ride real easy, until she warms up, we're good, but I'd sure like to know yah ta hey? I think, somewhere along the line, some hooleo put the wrong oil in. What is the RIGHT kind of oil for that bike and it's clutch,? And, will changing it a few times solve the issue? Heck,....is that even the issue? Any help is greatly appriciated, thanks in advance.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Kind of an ancient thread but....one of the best oils to use in your bike is Rotella 15w40 and this is the non-synthetic stuff. You can get it a Walmart and nearly any auto parts store for $11.00 per gallon. If someone used oil with friction modifiers you'd get clutch slipping but I'd expect it all the time when under load, not just when cold. Anyway, a new filter and a gallon of Rotella will be a cheap experiment. Let us know what you find.

·
experienced rider
6 Posts
Shortly after I wrote that, I stumbled onto another thread of similar content, with regard to oil type, where I decided to try the Shell, T 6 Synthetic, blue label. Got 2 gallons, and three filters. Did first two changes yesterday afternoon, got same result, but seemed a little better. Gonna try one more change today. Will post results.

My other thought, is that the clutch is just a little worn, and as the plates heat up, they naturally expand a bit, allowing them to grab as they heat and expand. Any more thoughts? Thanks,
T.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
I suppose it could be the clutch plates or the clutch spring which isn't a major job to change. Might try bleeding the clutch hydraulic system just to cover all the easy bases first since the bike is 15 years old. If it were me, with winter setting in, I'd probably get a set of friction plates, a Mean Streak clutch spring and fix it once and for all when the weather gets nasty.

·
experienced rider
6 Posts
yup,first thing we did was bleed the clutch, I shoulda mentioned that,....

and the 3 oil changes made no difference, by the way. So I guess it's just worn out like me. The old boy who had this bike before me, was a gentleman of rather large diameter at the mid section, so,...

And I concur about what to do about it. Now that our little Northwest Arkansas annual bike fling is done, maybe my mechanic can get some time. So when I go in there ask for exactly what year make and model Meanstreak spring?

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
The clutch spring from any year Vulcan Mean Streak will work. You'll have a slightly heavier clutch pull and it will wear much longer.

·
experienced rider
6 Posts
Thanks for all your help bro, I do appreciate it. And if youre ever riding through my neck of the woods here in northwest arkansas, just drop me a line, and I'll be your guide. Just have to go slow and watch out for deer. Bambi likes to try and get up in your lap while you ride. Latr,
T.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Actually, I've ridden through your state a couple of times in the past few years and had a really nice time in Eureka Springs. We took the bikes on what I think was Bull Shoals ferry across a small lake and I recall we stopped at a large HD dealership in or around Rogers AR. Any of that sound familiar? Really nice riding in that area and those of us from Western PA know all about deer as we currently rank #5 on the list of deer/vehicle accidents with WV being #1. It's just about rutting season so it's a good time to be real aware especially at dusk and dawn.

·
experienced rider
6 Posts
Well, I just had my mechanic rebuild the whole darn clutch. New pressure plates, and a new aftermarket, "not factory kaw" heavy duty clutch. Can't recall the brand name, but it was NOT a STOCK clutch for a Mean StreaK. It is, however, a bit stronger, and heavier, than my original stock Drifter clutch. It's a bit stiffer, stronger pull, grabs good now, and several hundred miles later, I'm still happy. Only time will tell now. But I have to say,...the whole clutch design for these bikes seems kinda cheese **** to me, with only a tiny portion of the spring plate making contact.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts