Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed repairs on an oil leak (replaced head gasket, leak stopped) and, when I put everything back together, I have one unknown tube fitting. There is a small black box located under the radiator. There are three tube fittings on the box: one is labeled "vent" (yellow dot), one is labeled "surge" (green dot) and one is either not labeled or the label has worn off. I THINK I have the correct tube on the "surge" fitting and I THINK I have the correct tube on the unlabeled fitting. I do not have a 3rd tube for the "vent" fitting. I started the bike, it ran great during my 15 mile test run yesterday. The only unusual event was that it acted like it was running out of gas with about 1/5 of a tank of gas. I filled the tank and it ran great. I went to start the bike this morning and it wouldn't "turn over". When I turn the key, it sounds like the motor turns over half way, then stops abruptly. I think the battery is fine. Could this be a "vapor lock" issue if I have put the tubes on the wrong fittings? Maybe one of the tubes needs to be on the fitting labeled "vent". My service manual does not show this black box. I was not able to work on the bike this morning as I had to get to work. Any thoughts before I start to diagnose this issue.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Try one of the online parts suppliers. Most have exploded views of different sections for ordering parts. Bike Bandit comes to mind, but there are others. Maybe that will give you a clue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure, but sounds like you have a California bike with emissions control stuff and a service manual for non-Cali bike. I have Cali ex-500 and Vulcan 900 and they have cannisters that look like black box you are describing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts