Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Vulcan 800 Classic with about 37k on it. It has been having an issue with second gear for the past 6 months. It feels like something 'skips' or 'jerks' around shifting RPM's after shifting into second gear. I took it to the shop for a tune up and they told me it was the chain and sprockets. I changed the rear sprocket and chain and the skipping did not go away. I really do not want to take the engine out or crack the case open for no reason. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this would be? Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
could be...

that automatic neutral finder that kawasaki does. I heard about it on here. not sure about the specifics or if it's ever caused problems, but basically there is a device that makes it so when you are parked and in 1st gear, you just tap it up once (as if you were going to shift it into 2nd gear) and it only goes to neutral. It doesn't let you shift to 2nd when stopped and running. Some people have complained about hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and one of the pros on this forum explained that it's probly the neutral finder switch or whatever it's called.

more details about the sound or issue might help though? a lot of shop mechanics at dealerships don't know squat about these bikes. The guys on here know everything there is to know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts