Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 ZX7, for some reason it's not starting. I got this from a friend, who got it from his cousin...According to him, the cousin rode it to give it him but now i cant start....i never started a Kawaski before...is there a special way to start a kawaski? Currently i have a 1992 Yamaha SECAII 500cc, but really want to use this Kawaski ZX7. Thank you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do not know about yours, but mine is: kickstand up, in neutral, fuel cutoff on, choke, squeeze the clutch (just in case the clutch is sticky), ignition switch on, red kill switch on, no throttle, starter button and it starts.

Is it turning over? Are you getting spark? Is there gas in the tank :)

Brian

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I see a lot of these show up every spring with no start problems. It is almost always the fuel pump, the fuel filter, or the fuel pump relay, or dirty carburetors.

Pick up the repair manual, and it really does not matter if it is OEM or after market version, and follow the steps for diagnosing a no start condition. It is a pretty good way to understand how it all works together, and will help you with future maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BrianTSmith99-->thats the same steps i performed. I does not turn over at all. It seem to be discharging my battery.

RCM-->I've been trying to find a manual for this but couldnt find one yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MFolks-->thank you.

kawpaul-->thats what i thought at first. i bought a new battery and it still didnt work...but it drained my battery if i leave it plug in....

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Have you tried this:

1. Remove all sparkplugs.

2. Install new or known good sparkplugs in the sparkplug caps, ground them against the engine head.

3. With the recharged battery installed and connected, turn the engine over.

4. If spark is present, you will hear/see a snap when the sparkplugs fire.

5. If no spark is seen/heard, further investigation is needed, possibly bad/failing ignition system,and/or dirty electrical connections.

6. The fuel they sell as gasoline will quickly degrade after sitting around for less than a week, so make sure your gas tank is not full of crud from bad gas.

7. Drop the carb float bowls and check for fuel flow.

8. Has compression been checked? 125 PSI is about the lowest an engine will run at. Check it with a sparkplug removed,and the throttle wide open for at least two-three engine revolutions.

9. If compression is low in all cylinders, check the valve clearances as one or more may be partially open letting compression.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
So your battery is being pulled down by the bike just sitting? And the starter does not turn over the engine at all? That what you are saying?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts