Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all-great forum. I'm a new owner of a Bayou 220 that I got for a pretty good deal. Once I fix the few minor issues, it will literally look and run like new.

I'm sure I'll get some negative replies to this but I have to tell you why I bought this 4-wheeler: We have a sprint car and, since they don't have starters, we have to push the car to start it. I do own a push truck that can accomplish this--but some times this isn't practical as the pit area can be congested and a 4-wheeler is a lot easier to maneuver.

The first transformation, after making sure that I do the proper maintenance on the 4-wheeler itself, is to add a push bumper to the front. I'm going to do this soon. I've looked at the transmission and clutch diagrams online and it doesn't look too difficult to rebuild the clutches if needed...and the thing appears to have a good amount of low-end torque and the clutch seems to be in good shape.

With that said...how much abuse will the clutch(es) in this thing take? How hard is it to rebuild it if I push it too hard?

I know I'm not the only one using a 4-wheeler for this purpose but I'm not sure how many have been on this forum.

Thanks,

Otis

·
Never quite fixed.
496 Posts
I'm not familiar with sprint cars. Is it the size of a normal car? How hard is it to push? Bayou's have 2 clutches, the centrifugal and a car-like one. The centrifugal will wear the most when pulling loads. It works pretty much the same as a chainsaw or weedwhacker's clutch. Rebuilding one I don't think would be hard. I know you would have to remove the right footpeg and remove the clutch cover.

These machines can and will pull a lot of weight. It will tow a load of wood on a 4x8 trailer, drag logs, tow a small car on level ground, or even an aluminum boat. I've also seen my uncle's Bayou 300 pull start a 3 cyl diesel Kubota tractor. I don't think you will have a problem, assuming the car isn't rediculously heavy or have really high compression.

You may want to consider smaller tires on the rear for more torque.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sprint Car

A sprint car weighs roughly 1450 lbs. with the driver. I can push the car myself on level ground in neutral. Push starting the car is another animal altogether. With the compression of these engines, it will require a lot of torque at first but once it gets rolling, it isn't too tough. A few normal-sized guys can push the car slow and turn the engine over.

Having raced karts in the past--the clutch mechanism diagram looks similar to other clutches I've rebuilt. There is basically a steel disc and a disc with friction material on it. Take it apart, replace the worn parts, clean it with brake cleaner and reassemble--at least that is how we did it for the karts.

Thanks for the reply.

Otis

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would expect the Bayou to work just fine bump starting a sprint car. The key to life on the clutches is to not lug them below the full engagement speed for the centrifugal unit which is the three lobed unit that runs in a drum and sets ahead of the multi-plate unit, and to avoid automotive oils that gum up the multi-disk clutch.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
well i owned a sprint car and we used a 250 suzuki raceing quad to push our car up to the trucks for push off and it was a manual clutch unlike the bayou.id say you will have no issues with that clutch as long as you do regular maintance.

what kinda sprint you have a 410 super or econo 305? we raced econo 305's and we could not get that motor to turn over with are four wheeler due stager and tire psi and tryin to turn and push with all the stager we had in it.makes for a pain on the wheeler .stick with the push truck to start those beast....itll save the quad clutchs from goin out prematurely

good luck on your racein season be safe -corey-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprint

It's a RaceSaver 305. I have a Toyota truck dedicated to push starting around the shop but it can be a pain to try and drive it around at the track. Our series uses 4-wheelers exclusively to push start--but they are larger than the 220.

Initially, my thought was to just use the Bayou to get the car from the trailer to the grid, etc...but, after riding it for a few minutes, I realized that it actually had a decent amount of torque.

I realize that pushing a car (or, hauling any kind of load, really) can put an extra strain on the clutch. My real question should have been: How difficult is it to rebuild the clutch(es)? If it isn't too difficult and too expensive, it may be worth it to tear it down once a season or something.

Thanks for the info...

Otis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts