Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i picked up a 97 kx100 for $600. its in decent condition. its a very hard starter when its cold. its so bad that i dont even fool with it. i go straight to the starting fliud andp put it directly into the cyllinder and that gets it about thrid kick. ive cleaned the carb and adjusted it to spec. BUT the bike does have a moose racing air filter and FMF turbinecore2. i think the jets are stock and it hasnt been jetted for those mods. could this possibly be my issue?

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry about posting two threads, my computer lagged

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi my friend, I have the same issue, my KX 1997 Burn the spark plug, what fluid do you put and where, this is my first motorcycle so I'm new, thank you for your help

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i use your run of the mill starter and top end lube fliud. you take out the spark plug and spray a decent amount of starter in it and put the plug back in. then you kick it! easy as that. if its cold, make sure you use the choke.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My kx 250 is also real hard starting in the cold. I know on my bike, you can't just measure the floats to specs. First you measure like normal with carb upside down to get em close. Then you have to do a fuel level adjustment on it.

Here's how. install the throttle gate into it, hook up the gas line, level the carb, then there's a simple tool you use to check the fuel level. It's a clear tube that runs to the bottom of the float bowl plug. It helps to have a spare float bowl plug to drill a hole in and run the tube from it. Hold the tube so it runs up the side of the carb then open the gas tank valve. When the fuel fills the carb you should see the level of gas in the float bowl. I don't know what your measurements are, but with my bike it's supposed to be 2mm above the float bowl mating surface. Then you have to readjust your floats until it is the right level for your bike.

Mine starts hard because I haven't done this yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 95 kx100 and it was hard to star to, I put new reeds in it and it start 1-2 kicks everytime now even when cold, Problem with reeds is they get old and bend out which makes a tiny gap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts