Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im new to this forum and i got my first real bike. a 1997 KX100. i picked it up a few days ago and it ran when i test rode it. $600. when i got home and tried to fire it up, it wouldnt start. i pulled the plug and got no spark, so i went and got a new plug (B8ES) thinking that it was fouled. that still didnt get it to kick over. so i went and got a new spark plug cap b/c the one that was on it was off a suzuki and it STILL doesnt spark. is it my coil? is there a way i can test it with a voltmeter or something? please help. im a fairly good mechanic but this has me stumped.:mad:

·
2storke god 4stroke nub
26 Posts
do you have a spare coil off any other to test with? if not coils rarely go . make sure all wires and conections are good . rust free a litle wd40 goes a long way check for faults from the coil down to the generator/altinator.
there will be a computer or 2 on ur bike is it possible thats gone ? tho its rare its more likely thats gone then the coil hint i kno its not a fun thing to do but have u tryed puting ur finger on the end of the ht lead and give it a small kick u may find that u get a shock off it if its no shock u got a problem coil computer or generator or a bad wire if u get a small current but not enough to make u move your hand u kno there is power of some sort if u get a big shock ur problem is most likely from the ht lead down to plug but u say these are new so i doubt that have a play round n let us know what u find as for testing with a meter i cant help you im oldschool i test test test a piece of wire like from ur tv set to ur plug culd be 1 of the most usefull things u can use problem solveing electrics that and a 12v headlight bulb or indecator with ur bike switched off you can attach your battery or charger to a wire and useing a bulb tell if that wire is carrying the current or not ;) let us kno how u get on bare in mind i dont kno your bike well but all 2 strokes fall in to the same rule box so to speak best of luck

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you have a spare coil off any other to test with? if not coils rarely go . make sure all wires and conections are good . rust free a litle wd40 goes a long way check for faults from the coil down to the generator/altinator.
there will be a computer or 2 on ur bike is it possible thats gone ? tho its rare its more likely thats gone then the coil hint i kno its not a fun thing to do but have u tryed puting ur finger on the end of the ht lead and give it a small kick u may find that u get a shock off it if its no shock u got a problem coil computer or generator or a bad wire if u get a small current but not enough to make u move your hand u kno there is power of some sort if u get a big shock ur problem is most likely from the ht lead down to plug but u say these are new so i doubt that have a play round n let us know what u find as for testing with a meter i cant help you im oldschool i test test test a piece of wire like from ur tv set to ur plug culd be 1 of the most usefull things u can use problem solveing electrics that and a 12v headlight bulb or indecator with ur bike switched off you can attach your battery or charger to a wire and useing a bulb tell if that wire is carrying the current or not ;) let us kno how u get on bare in mind i dont kno your bike well but all 2 strokes fall in to the same rule box so to speak best of luck
Ummm. what exacly is the ht lead? is that what connects into the spark plug cap or is it under the seat by the computer/CDI? or is it coming out of the coil? i had my dad push me and i popped the clutch a few times and it still doesnt want to fire. i always heard that if you touch the spark plug to the frame, you can see i spark when you kick it, but i still dont have a spark.

·
2storke god 4stroke nub
26 Posts
the ht high tension lead is between the coil and plug cap the plug on the frame works a treat i would check over all electrics as i said before
try to determin what the fault is

do you have a other coil sum where ? prehaps borow one from another bike just for 15 minuits
any coil will work just for the purpose of finding out if it is your coil thats faulty
if it is the borowed coil will spark if it dont u kno its not your coil

·
2storke god 4stroke nub
26 Posts
its not about it fiting its about the testing coils run like any other electrical device on a positive and negitive power sorce

there are 2 types of conection on a coil 1st is it bolts to the frame taking its negitive from the earth with positive on a wire

2nd is both negitive and positive on wires

all u got to do is attach the positive and negative for it to work

once you have it attached place the plug on a earth ie the frame wich is conectet to your negitive

kick the bike over see if your plug sparks if not take the plug cap off fingure on the ht lead kick it over see if u get a shock off it

let us kno how u get on with that

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha im a dummy! i looked at the coil under the seat and one of the grounds was a little bit loose and there was some dirt in it. so, i cleaned that up and after a little bit of pushing (b/c it needs a carb job) it fired up and off i went. wow, i cant belive i did four days of tinkering and didnt notice that sooner. now that bike rips. but it still needs some work to get goin. IE: spokes tightened, new carb cap, misc. bolts for plastic. thanks for the help guys.

·
2storke god 4stroke nub
26 Posts
if your carb cap is letting in air then dont run it untill u replace it ull be running too lean and 2 strokes realy dont like it
it will rip nicely for a bit but destroy ur piston one day itl stop working and u will need a new top end possibly big end may go too verry expencive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.