Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the first bike ive had in a while so i have a noob qeustion. I purchased this bike and it hadnt been started in about a year it starts and rev fine but today i went out and started it up and let it run for about 15min in place. i noticed it started to let antifreeze out the over flow tube and smoke a little as if there was a coolant leak, but the smoke could also have been from the coolant coming out of the overflow hose im not sure it was hard to tell.

Could this just be from letting it sit and idle to long or should this not happen. If not i am very mechanically inclined and have a service manual for the bike could it be something like a thermostat, i have not worked on bikes much mostly cars.

any help would be great
thanks
nick

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Sounds like it is boiling. The smoke is probably steam. Could be two problems:
1. Stuck thermostat. The symptom is that the radiator basically stays cool while the engine gets hot until it starts to boil, then radiator gets hot.
2. Fan is not coming on. The symptom is engine and radiator both get hot and fan never comes on, even when it starts to boil.

Determine which you have and then go from there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
over heating

i have narrowed the problem down to the fan does not come on what would cause this is there a relay and is it hard to change/exspensive to buy.

the fan does not come on and i rode the bike today and going down the highway when the bike is moving it doesnt get hot but when very low speeds like traffic or in a dead stop it gets hot.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
It could be the fan fuse, thermo switch, fan motor or wiring. You should get a service manual for the bike. It will give a series of tests and component locations for your particular bike. Also a good carb reference, too.

Post back if you cannot seem to find the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on that note. i was just looking at them on ebay and noticed there were a few different brands of manuals witch would be the best. also i now my bike is standard 1997 ninja 600 if the manual says zx6 or zx6r would that cover my bike too. i hope its not a stupid qeustion thanks for all your help it is well appreciated more than you know.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
if the fan motor is still good, could i just wire up a toggle switch to make the fan work?
Bad idea. Do the testing and repair as necessary. One day you may forget to turn on the fan and it just might warp the head! Not pretty.
Any of the manuals should do a pretty good job of covering this item.
As far as specific model coverage, that is something that you will have to look into as I am not familiar with all manuals.

Post back with how you make out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts