Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! First ATV project here. I purchased a partially disassemble ATV, put it back together and I finally got the engine to run and it runs great. The problem is that when it put it into gear it barely moves and stutters or jumps. The best way I can describe it is if you have a driver/drill with a clutch, if you put the clutch on light and hold the chuck then run the drill, that is the sound it makes and the way it lurches. If I put it in reverse and drive slowly, it will move in reverse. Is this something in the transmission or the differentials? Just trying to figure out where to start looking. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Probably not in the diffs since you can back up ok. You can use a mechanic's stethoscope to narrow down where the sound is coming from. I would also look closely at the gear change mechanism to make sure it is properly adjusted.

You did not mention if you were in 4WD when doing your tests.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drained all oil from trans and diffs and found no metal shavings. As I was putting it back together I could see the rear U-joint on the front prop shaft was snapped. So that is my problem, what I am curios about is the output from transmission like an open diff on a car, if front output just spins, will it keep power from going to the rear prop shaft? It is fulltime 4wd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts