Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an oil leak spring up. i found it and bought the gasket that i needed to fix it. i was taking off the side cover and antifreeze was pouring into my oil sump, so i put it back on and drained my oil. i haven't got the service manual for it yet, i was hoping that someone would know why this is happening.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would guess you pulled the side case with the water pump and failed to drain the coolant first.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Yup, you need to drain the coolant before you remove the clutch side engine cover. Also replace the two 'O' seals for the coolant tube; it's a bugger to get back in there and it will leak if you don't replace the seals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, you need to drain the coolant before you remove the clutch side engine cover. Also replace the two 'O' seals for the coolant tube; it's a bugger to get back in there and it will leak if you don't replace the seals.
I know this post was a long time ago and the answer Im looking for may be lurking around here but, Ive been looking for a while without luck and it seems like you may be the one to ask. I think its the same pipe you mentioned that im having an issue with.

Ive noticed a minor leak out the top of the coolant pipe* than runs from between the
bottom of the two cylinders to the top of the clutch cover. Im committed to changing it. Ive only the front exhaust pipe, brake pedal assembly AND right section of frame to remove before popping off the clutch cover (my first bike, my first time - yikes).

So, my two (hopefully) quick questions are:

1) I think I should replace the clutch cover gasket but, I really dont want to.
Im answering my own question before I ask it right? Do I have to change it?

2) My manual (Clymer) has brought me this far but, Im starting to worry because
there is no mention of how the pipe will release from the bottom of the cylinder,
only the clutch cover. Sort of, I think access to it will be obvious once the cover
is off. Please tell me if you think I have to take apart something more enginey to
get to the other O-ring. Ya, I said enginey

Any advice, direction to another source or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Alen.

Im not sure how to insert images here from my hard drive but, for the what its worth
the pipe looks like this....

* PART# 39192C
Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 1995 VN800-A1 Vulcan 800 RADIATOR Diagram

·
Registered
4 Posts
Answering my own questions...sad...truly

1) Old gasket was even more gooey and trashed than expected - replacement in order

2) The top of the coolant pipe (located below the cylinders and taking a 90degree turn
into the top of the clutch cover) simply comes out after you pull off the clutch cover

two things to note so far (i have to reassemble yet);
- i wasnt able to "pry" the cover off as the Clymer manual suggested. I had to gently
coax it off with a couple love taps from my rubber mallet
- a washer fell out when i pulled of the clutch cover. turns out it fell off the starter idle
gear

now i gotta research what kind of sealants I found/need to replace(?) around the coolant
pipe and water pump AND i need to purchase a shop manual asap and umm a torque
wrench, ya im super green

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this thread is three years old, but I'm hoping someone is keeping tabs on it. I had a leak at the top of the clutch case where the coolant tube goes in. After reading this forum, I assumed it was a bad seal and took apart half the bike, only to find beautiful o-rings that look like new. They are rubbery and intact and I see nothing that would have caused the leak, except for maybe just working themselves loose. :confused: There is no corrosion around the clutch case cover, inside or out. Since I would have to order parts that won't be here for five days (with big plans for riding during that time), I think I'll just put some RTV on the seals and put it back together. Can anyone give me their two-cents worth to tell me if this is a good or bad idea? What kind of RTV should I use. And should I replace the case cover gasket or use a sealant on that. Like I said, it all looks brand new. Thanks. (My first post but I refer to this forum quite a bit.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts