Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Vulcan 1500, I was told about a shifting problem ( it grinds when shift from 1st to 2nd ), I took apart the engine, checked the gears , drum, etc. The only thing I found was the Return Spring bolt bended.
I replace the bolt, put everything back, and adjusted the shift linkage rod.
But still doing it, when I **** from 1st to 2nd it will grind, if I shift at 17 miles like Kawa. specified it will not grind but it is not enough speed for the 2nd gear, the higher shifting speed the worst it gets, to the point that it will jump to neutral.
If anybody has any info. please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine does a similar cckrr into second. The bike was bought new by my baby brother (He moved to a Wing) & he had it to the dealer several times who assured him this is normal. What I've found is an old truck driving tactic of learning the feel & sound of the right shift time & have it almost perfected. It is a very early shift but 2nd seems to be low enough to recover properly without lugging. Try it this may help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Jesus,

Welcome to the forum.
Your bike shouldn't grind going into any gear.
Try posting this in the Mechanics Corner on this web site and
also try the VROC.org.

You should be able to get some imput.

Good Luck

DfgPilot

·
Registered
11 Posts
97's are 4 speeds and they tend to do this. At first when I got mine (I have a 97 to) I was worried of internal damage and talked to Kaw about it. They reassured me and I learned to live with it. You will learn to cope and adjust your driving to a point that you will soon shift without a grind. My method is to quickshift by applying some pressure to the shift lever before I disengage the clutch (you can also keep a little throttle). That way the dogs ram in second gear. I would think that a 4 speed has a greater speed differential between the gears that will produce that grind going 1st to 2nd.

I don't know why but 97's have a good resale value here in Canada compared to other years witch are 5 speeds. Just a thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Jesus
I have a 97 to.I had the same problem,they had to fix the tranny,change forch,and the drumshift i think.Now it's ok,but i shift early in second gear now, there no grinch and it stay in second now.i change about at 20 or 25 km.

Regards Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I think I will take it apart again, and I will check the shift drum and forks, etc.

Thanks every body for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts