Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking at a used 97 vulcan 1500A (old style 4 speed). Might can get it for around 2 grand. Needs the clutch fixed, cost is around $300. The milage is 49,000. Just a few questions: How often does the clutch need fixing on these models? In normal riding, how long does the back tire last? (2 or 3 yrs)? What is the top speed on this machine? Did find out that it had the nylon oil pump gear replaced with the metal one. thanks for any input. [email protected]

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

64hp - 108 mph top speed thereabouts

clutch should go a long time unless you dog it alot,i've seen over 40k on a clutch.

rear tire maybe 7-8k miles, very subjective though depends on tire and riding style

they were good bikes but improvements were made in the following years
until now they are one of the best values in the cruiser market
figure how much your gonna have to put into it to make it road ready and see.at 50k miles you'll prolly have some more issues down the road :wink:

good luck and ride safe :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
rwmeeks,
I own a 97 Vulcan 1500A with 19k miles and I enjoy it very much. I've had it for about a year now and have replaced the clutch* and front tire (age cracking). I consider the bike very reliable and comfortable to ride. As bikeaholic pointed out, they are a good buy for a large size cruiser. People are surprised that I paid only $2900 for it. My son owns a '97 C model which he bought for $1800 but he had to rebuild the tranny. His runs like a new bike now and he is also happy with his.

* actually when I took apart the clutch, I discovered that the fiber & steel disc were OK but the clutch diaphgram spring fingers were almost worn through (a previous owner must have riding the clutch). anyway since I have new fiber discs I put them in with the new spring.

What attracted me to this model was price, rear disc brake, shaft drive and alloy wheels. (don't like cleaning wire wheels and don't like the chain drive maintenance) Also the bike is very well balanced, you can practically steer it with knees.

My only downside (If there is one) my transmission is "clunky" as was noted in some bike reviews and I always get a little "clunk" upshifting into 2nd (this is Kawasaki's "positive neutral" in action...OK,maybe I don't know how to shift ):lol:

My purpose in buying a scoot was to do a little cruising without spending a whole lot of money. I looked at alot of used HD, Hondas, Yamahas, BMWs, Suzuki and Triumph. With 20/20 hindsight, I have no regrets about buying the Vulcan 1500A.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

my bad :oops: the hp/top speed specs i quoted are for the B model
the A model is close though :wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some insight about my \95 VN1500-A

Hello everyone..

Just found this great forum and joined tonight !

I have a '95 Vulcan 1500-A.. nearly stock. I changed out the std. rear fender to a "B" style softtail, and used the unitized "B" seat cushion from the same model year..just to make things a bit different, but its also in my opinion a more comfortable ride.

I bought my 'baby' in 1999 and now have over 50k miles on the odometer, 2 rides from NH to USA/west coast and back, 1 ride from NH to Key west Fla. and back, and another to El Paso Texas from NH and back, Canadian Maritime circle route, plus many many New England week-end round-abouts in the last four years.!

Top speed for me on this 1500-A has been a bit over 115 mph which I timed in South Dakota over a flat, measured 5 mile run timing each mile in succession and averaging.

I have just completed a 6.5 K-mile run from NH to Fla. then west to the Mississippi river, then up the west bank to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Manitoba, Upper Michigan around Lake Huron, across Ontario and Quebec and home to New Hampshire. At speeds of 65 to 70 mph I averaged nearly 45 mpg, but at faster highway speeds of 80+ to 85+ mph the milage drops off quickly to 35 or less. Always using 87 Octane on the RON+MON/2 method.

In my experiences touring with this ( terrific ) bike, I have used Dunlop tires, Michelin tires, Metzler ( my favorite in rain ) and now Avon. I have never gotten more than 7000 miles from a rear tire ( Michelin ) and as little as only 4000 ( Dunlop ). Since I never change one tire without changing the other also, I dont record front tire life, but have noticed that both the Bidgestone and Dunlops seemed to wear unevenly on the front, either right side or left.

I changed the oil and filter as soon as I brought the bike home the first day to AMSOIL 20W-50 and have used only this product ever since. Now at 50 k miles, and having just returned from that 6.5 k mile trip, I have still to burn any significant amounts of oil. and change out regularly at 8000 mile intervals. I do NOT use additives of any kind.

Although this bike engine sounds like an old Singer Sewing machine at hwy speeds of 80 mph or more ( sometimes slower ) , and although the the transmission 'clunks' from gear to gear going up ( but not down ), it remains in absolutely tip-top condition !

For the fellow who's thinking of or has already bought an older 1500-A, these are the observations of a fellow who already owns one, has ridden his extensively, and could not be more delighted with any piece of afforable motorcycle machinery. A real Japanese engineerring coup !

By the way guys ( moderators )... Thanks for letting me in. I'll try to contribute what I can.

...very best regards to all KAWA/Vulcan Forum members.!

Ernie in NH

ps: Also have a vintage '79 KAWA 440-A in showroom condition! Love that machine as well, and have taught tens and tens of young people to ride on it, without ever having a single fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 95 1500a that I picked up for $1000.00. The guy laid it down and got sick of working on it. After replacing a leaking fuel pump and 4 fuel lines, it ran like a champ. It was stock except for progressive suspension which was added after the accident. I've since added a rear fender off of a 2000's model classic vulcan, engine guard, highway pegs, hard bags, and a seat from an 03 VTX 1300 since the stock seat no longer fit lol. So far, the bike is great, especially considering I only have $1300 into it :lol:. I think you'll like it. Id suggest an engine guard and highway pegs as your first accessory, they make riding so comfortable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad to see some "A" model fans....I have a beautiful '97 1500A with 29000 miles that would make someone a great bike. I bought it with 10000 miles on it and have ridden it for 19000 trouble-free miles until second gear decided to give up. I purchased a new '07 V2K last year so I need to let the "A" go. If anyone is really interested and wants details, let me know...STEVE...asking $600....I paid that for the HK exhaust !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to see some "A" model fans....I have a beautiful '97 1500A with 29000 miles that would make someone a great bike. I bought it with 10000 miles on it and have ridden it for 19000 trouble-free miles until second gear decided to give up. I purchased a new '07 V2K last year so I need to let the "A" go. If anyone is really interested and wants details, let me know...STEVE...asking $600....I paid that for the HK exhaust !!!!
I'll buy it! Especially if it looks as good as the picture.
I just laid my '97 1500A down on a mountain road and the result was not good, for me or the bike. Let me know how to get in touch with you and I'll send a check tomorrow!

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll buy it! Especially if it looks as good as the picture.
I just laid my '97 1500A down on a mountain road and the result was not good, for me or the bike. Let me know how to get in touch with you and I'll send a check tomorrow!

Thanks

Rob
Rob....sorry but the bike sold on Tuesday......STEVE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts