Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my brake light on my 1997 Vulcan 800. It only gets brighter when I pull the hand brake. My question is, do others with similar bikes light up when the foot brake is press as well? I can't recall if mine did or not before I swaped the brake light out. I am just trying to determine if I wired something incorrect. Also, I don't want to show up for safety inspection and come to find out they check for both hand and foot brake seperate, and have me not pass my state safety inspection.

Thanks

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
Yes, it should work with both brakes. If it's working with either one, there there is nothing wrong with the bulb or the way it's installed. The problem is most likely with the rear brake switch but might be the wires to that switch. It might be as simple as adjusting the rear switch if your lucky.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
The foot brake switch might have dirt inside acting like an insulator. Get some spray electrical contact cleaner(Not WD-40!), spray the plunger that goes inside the switch body and step on the brake a few times.

If that won't work, inspect the wiring going to the switch for problems.
The worst you can do is replace the switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.