Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a recent "new" owner of a 1998 1500 Vulcan Classic. It has an oil leak. Originally it was thought to be the shifter seal. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be a pivot shaft into what looks like (on a parts exploded view) the generator cover. This does not appear to have a seal and it has been suggested locally that it is a blind hole that the gear shift mechanism pivots on which may have a crack in it. Is this a likely culprit. There appears to be quite a bit of play in the shift lever as well which may just be some set screw tightening, but then...? It seems that perhaps the engine will need to be partially removed to get to this. Is that the case as well? Any help or redirection appreciated.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It has been suggested that the cover can be removed by lifting the engine. I have never found this to be the case. I have always had to remove the engine. After your 4th time, it gets easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a recent "new" owner of a 1998 1500 Vulcan Classic. It has an oil leak. Originally it was thought to be the shifter seal. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be a pivot shaft into what looks like (on a parts exploded view) the generator cover. This does not appear to have a seal and it has been suggested locally that it is a blind hole that the gear shift mechanism pivots on which may have a crack in it. Is this a likely culprit. There appears to be quite a bit of play in the shift lever as well which may just be some set screw tightening, but then...? It seems that perhaps the engine will need to be partially removed to get to this. Is that the case as well? Any help or redirection appreciated.
What did you find with your bike. My 98 1500 Vulcan Classic just started leaking oil from the same place yours was. Any information on fixing the leak would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
You are replying to a thread that ended in 2009 so you are unlikely to get a response from those folks. For that reason, it is almost always better to start a new thread and detail exactly what is wrong with your bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts