Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the whole story..
i got the bike in on a trade it didnt run..did a compression check it was great..but there was no spark so i pulled the flywheel cover off, flywheel off to find that the guy tried to pull the stator off the bike but he put the pulley screws in to deep to the flywheel and whatever he had holding it in place slipped and spun the flywheel trearing up the windings on the stator.i thought ok easy fix after looking around for awhile i found a stator brand new..put it in the bike wired it up, put it back together to see if i was getting spark...nothing...so i started breaking down the obvious..rectifer was fine..coil was fine..cdi seemed ok..wires had continouity..everything was in working order.but the pick up coil on the new stator had a huge air gap in it but it was non ajustable soo i figerd what the hell i loosened the pick coil and let it drag on the flywheel kicked it over i had SPARK..the air gap was to far and wouldnt let it work soo i made some adjustments..and tired it again nothing..the pick up had to RUB the flywheel for it to spark..soo i let it rub just to see if it would fire up..its makes smoke but no go..the kickstarter kicks back at me i keep trying to adjust the timing but it dosent help it wont run..i pulled the tps off the carb i have heard it can advance ur timing tried it again still the same thing..im not sure what else to do..i keep moving the timeing all over and it does the same thing just kicks back at me..i know i need an air gap too but im just kinda lost here...

ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATFULLY APPERCIATED

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey ive worked on some kx's my self and i have also had starting problems im assuming it hasnt started in a while an with single cylinder bikes sum times they need sum coxing to get running.
try these surgestions
1:heat the plugs over a gas stove just the bottom part were the spark is till it is nice an hot not red hot just hot to the touch.
2: poor sum petrol down the spark plug hole if youv got compression an spark then technically youll find it will start and if you have the fuel on wen doing this then what will happen is it will start then act like a vaccum and suck peterol in from the tank then "if this does happen" it just means needs running in abit.
3 check to make sure you have no blockages in ur petrol tank or pipes that may be affecting the flow to ur carbs.

tell me how you get on.
dave :)

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
what was your compression reading ?
did you clean the carb pilot/idle jet ?
good plug ?
did you line the timing plate up CORRECTLY ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts