Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems as soon as you let the clutch out and start rolling the engine dies, try again and the main fuse blows. I have stripped the bike down looking for bare wires and bad connectors and can't find anything wrong. I've taken the ignition switch out and checked all the wires that flex around the frame. I've disconnected all rear lights, all cruise control wiring and checked the ten wire connector down by the left side of the fairing. When I bought this cycle it had 31,000 miles on it and it always would die once in a while when rpm's are low when starting from a stop but not all the time. Hasn't died like that for a while until the other day, it now has 57,000 miles. I shut it off for 5 minutes and restarted and let the clutch out to start going and it died. It always restarts after it dies but I noticed it died 4 times on the way home at 4 stop signs. It now blows the main 30amp fuse when restarting from a stop. When I replace the fuse it will idle and rev-up all day long until you put it into gear and let the clutch out. I removed the side kickstand switch and the clutch switch and disassembled and cleaned and tested with ohm meter, checked O.K. I'm thinking beings I cannot find any bare wires, bad switches or anything wrong with the ignition switch or wires that maybe the igniter box is going bad. Also, I can put the bike on the center stand and run it through the gears with applying a little rear brake to simulate a load and can do that all day long! What else is there but the igniter! Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I would suggest you test your ignition switch. I don't have a wiring diagram for your bike but mine has a direct feed from the 30 amp fuse to the ignition switch. A service manual will give you some simple tests that can be performed without removing the ignition switch. If it tests ok then follow the wire all the way from the ignition switch to the 30 amp fuse. Put your test leads at either end of the wire and wiggle the harness along the full length to see if you can detect a bad connection.

You may have to unwrap your harness to find the problem. Let's hope not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You WFO-KZ, You have a very good idea and I will try your information and see what I come up with. I have the Voyager xii service manual so following the wire should be easy. I will let you know what I find. Thanks. P.S. I'm using my other computer is why the user name has changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beings I had the ignition switch off the bike, I cut the rubber covering off of the bunch of wires and found that one of the wires had been cut and someone added a 4" piece of wire. They must have had a wire that broke with all of the movement the wires take in that area. They used little wire crimps to join the wires. Also, they did not use the wire hold crimp to keep the wires from putting pressure on the solder joints on the back of the ignition switch. I repaired all of that but still no success. I was still wondering why I could put the bike on the center stand and run through the gears all day long with no problem. When I bolted the ignition switch back on the bike (you have to stand on your head to do this) I was looking around and noticed the wire harness under the triple tree (handlebars hook to this) looked like it was wore through and I could see the color coded wires. These wires go to the kill switch, starter button area. I found that some of these color coded wires looked like they had rub marks on them. I trimmed the rubber back a little and taped each of these wires and then covered them with tape (stand on your head for this too). These wires were rubbing against the right-hand upper fork tube plus getting the left and right motion when steering. This is why the bike ran good on the center stand, it didn't have the normal stress of normal riding. Anyway, to make a long painful knuckle busting standing on your head, complete motorcycle disassembly event to an end, this fixed my 30amp fuse blowing problem. I have test run for 20 minutes and no problems, before I couldn't make it out of the driveway. Thanks WFO-KZ. P.S. I have a lot less skin on my knuckles today than I had yesterday.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I see you chose your nickname for this site wisely. Glad to hear the problem is solved. Now go have a well-deserved beer and rest those knuckles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts