Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just picked one of these up after a gap from riding for a while and need some advice from someone in the know.

I drained the oil today from the gearbox and went to replace it. It says on the side of the engine 0.85L so thats what I put in. However, I cannot see the oil in the window untill I lean the bike down. When its level, I cannot see any oil. Is this right?

My next question is, I put some brand new oil in, then drained it and it was a milky colour. When I lean the bike down, its milky, however, I am not loosing any coolant. The level has remained the same. There is what seems to be some small condensation in the windows. Any advice on this?

Next question would be about adjusting the suspension. I have not been able to pick up a manual yet, so which are the preload and rebound on the forks? Any recommendations for a rider 5'10 and 180lbs?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

·
Registered
917 Posts
well milky is coolant or water, a sure sign is when the site glass is fogged white. Most likely and hopefully just your waterpump seal is bad.

When bike is level the oil should be half way up the site glass.

My bike may say .8 Liter but a have put a whole liter it in. Not gonna hurt anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will put some more oil in. As for the water, how do I go about changing the water seals? Is there a guide online anywhere?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am gonna replace my water pump seals and bearings. Do I need to remove the clutch cover and clutch basket or can I just remove the whole side case.

·
Registered
917 Posts
i do not know about your model or what all you want to do, but on mine and past atvs, I drain coolant and just remove water pump cover and impeller to get at the seal.

Depending on model the clutch cover usually has to be removed to do the the inner most bearing if not both. Those bearings rarely go bad, but if they are sloppy I would guess it could cause faster seal and shaft wear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
looking at the parts diagram there are 2 seals for the impeller. So I should be able to get to the both seals by taking off the pump cover and removing the impeller. It looks like the 92049C is bigger and might only be able to access it by taking off the right side of the case and bearings. I guess I will have to take the pump cover off to really tell.

92049B and 92049C

Genuine OEM Parts :: ENGINE COVER(S) Parts for KAWASAKI KX250 1999

·
Registered
917 Posts
Either way you will have to drain the coolant and remove the impeller.

It does appear you have to remove the clutch cover to replace the seals.

Try not to tear the clutch cover gasket and you can re-use it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ok I will be pulling the motor out here soon. I will just replace the seals and bearings and the seal for the kick start governor bearings, seal and clutch plates since I will have the cover off might as well replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts