Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

I'm Lost Here

• Can I fix it myself?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will the leak get worse?

• Why would the engine be lugging...could the idle be to low?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hello Everyone....New to this site...hopefully someone can help me out. I bought a used 99 Nomad with about 15K miles on it. I put a few hundred miles on it and changed the oil and now notice oil coming from the plastic gasket type circles on top of the cam towers. I put 10W40 in it...should I go to a heavier oil? Also I changed the plugs (seemed to all be burning the same), the gas filter, cleaned the air filter (It is a thick black hard foam type with no markings on it) and am running Sea Foam through it now...but I am only getting about 25 miles to the gallon and the engine seems to be lugging...like I should be in 4th at 40 for it to run smoothly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...does the engine have to be pulled or would a 20w50 oil slow down the leak? Would any type of stop leak hurt or help?

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
You should be in 2nd at 40. These engines like to rev. Not sure where you are talking about on the oil leak.

You should also check to see if the POG has been changed out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be in 2nd at 40. These engines like to rev. Not sure where you are talking about on the oil leak.

You should also check to see if the POG has been changed out.
The oil is seeping from the round plastic or rubber gommets at the top of the cylinder heads. The upper cylinder side just below the valve covers. I don't know about the POG being changed...I've heard about them going bad...wondering if I should take a chance or go for the piece of mind. Do you have any idea how much something like that would run? I will run it at a higher rpm before changing gears now...see how that part goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts