Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright - here's the problem. Sporadically (not necessarily every time I ride) I have an issue where it will idle ok at a stop and then begin to slow to the point where the engine will stop running if I don't give it the gas. Then, when it stops, a small amount of fuel drains from the small line sticking out from the underside of the bike (several inches behind the kickstand) on left hand side. My questions are "Any idea what might cause this?" and "What is that line where fuel drains - is that what's known as the 'breather' line?". The bike seems to run fine at normal speeds. And, without idle speed adjustment, sometimes it idles fine and other times it will exhibit this behavior. Fuel filter problem maybe? Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmmm, it doesn't sound like the problem I had, needles and seats went out in one of my carbs and instead of putting the fuel into the engine it spat it out into the air cleaner and leaked down onto the tranny and from there to the lower fairing.

I guess all I can do is help rule one thing out that could cause that problem. That's a problem I had for a month when I didn't have the money to fix the carbs. Different cause it seems.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FUEL

can you get to the plugs to read them and see if in fact they are getting soaked or are black with soot? Sounds like a running rich condition. Check to see that the linkages are all moving the same and freely...and lube the linkages. If you can get to the carb bowls pull the drain plugs and drain them into a coffee filter or something to see if you get anything from the carbs that may keep the needle valve from seating...or hat you don't have just a leaky gasket on a carb...run teh biek and warm it up then seting it up on the centerstand or even the side stand check the tube and see what it is and then folow it up- Taking it to the dealer may be exepensive but once they have it in the shop they take the ball and you have a paper trail of what they are doing and not doing...to fix or not fix the problem...all of which the manager can over-ride if the service department is messing up and not getting it fixed. Personally, I would add some diesel fuel or Marvel Mystery oil to the gas and ride it hard to get things cleaned out. worst case scenerio, it won't clear and you have to take it in with the same condition. best casse you knock the stuff loose and you're back in good running order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts