Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum, and wanted to say hi.

I have been lurking for awhile, and thought it was time to join the fun.

I bought my '07 V2K on Sept. 15, coincidentaly my son's 18th birthday, and have been obsessed ever since. Motorcycles have been my love since I was 6 years old, and this is my first street bike. My wife of 25 years, Midge, has always put her foot down when it came to street bikes. That is until this year. I finally convinced her that WE need a hobby. Something to make us feel alive again, and something that would allow us to become a part of a community.

Let me give you a little background on us. As I mentioned, I have always been into motorcylcles. Midge, as well, rode dirt bikes from an early age, but not as extensively as I. As soon as we could afford it, we bought bikes for our 2 children. Our daughter enjoyed riding. Our son became obsessed with it. We bought motocross bikes for him, and me. That was the path we pursued for 6 years. We focused all of our energy, (and MONEY), toward his progression. I realized he was MUCH better than I, and I sold my bike to concentrate on his career. We loved it. But, as he became faster, and the risks became more than he was willing to take, he retired from motocross. Once he turned pro, the fun left. After a few injuries, he decided enough is enough, and quit. (I am so proud of his decision, at age 16). It left a huge void in our lives. Of course, our son moved on and discovered the wonderful world of the opposite sex, and cars. Midge and I were left missing the social aspect of the motocross scene.

I had grown up riding Kawasakis, so naturally continued buying them for my son's motocross career. We developed a very good relationship with our local Kawasaki dealer. Once we decided that a street bike was the way for Midge and me to "get back to living", there was really no decision to make. We were going to buy a Kawasaki. I began stopping in to look at the Vulcans a few times a week. Then I would bring Midge in, using a suitable pretex, and began trying to convince her how much fun we would have. What convinced her to allow us to buy was that that our dealer is the sponsor of the local chapter of ROK. Midge needs to socialize. Bikes open the door to socialize. YES!

The owner of our local dealership, Kawasaki of Hurricane, convinced me that I should go with a Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (thanks Joe!). I knew that most of the time, Midge would be riding with me. I was a bit intimidated at first, but now I am so thankful for my decision. Midge loves riding with me so much that she gets upset when I tell her that I rode without her!

Anyway, I appologize for such a long first post. I hope to add something to this forum, though time restraints may prevent me from joining in too much.

Hello to all!

Dennis

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
Welcome.
Very soon certain members of this august forum may use the word "photo" or "picture".:biggrin:

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
Welcome to the forum, welcome to the Big Boys Club and congrats on being a V2K Junkie. :smile:

There is a post here that asks you to post a Pic of your V2K. We'd love to see a pic of it if you haven't done so already.

The V2K is a blast to ride as you know, enjoy. :smile:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Dennis, nice to see another added to the V2K crowd. I was in the same situation as you for years. Riding dirt bikes, but staying away from the street. I think every rider should learn on a dirt bike. You really learn balance and how to recover when your bike goes wonky. However as I'm sure you're well aware, the streets provide a different set of challenges and dangers. I'm relatively new to street riding too and really enjoying it, nonetheless be careful out there and enjoy your new bike.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Nice pics of your new bike. NOT!!

Welcome to the forum. We really are a great group of people here. Glad you've decided to join us.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.