Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up a '79 kz650. i want to strip it down and make a bare bones bike, electric start, head & tailight and thats about it. so i need advice on wiring for the biggest problem. should i pull all the wiring and just make my own harness? or what. i know theres alot of extra lights and stuff i dont want. so help a new guy out
thanks

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Had any experiance with motorcycle wiring? Can you solder and/or crimp the special electrical connector pins? Done any electrical cable fabrication?

Here's a listing of motorcycle electrical connector suppliers:

Motorcycle Relay Kits, Parts, Powerlet, Centech, Posi-Lock, and More!
OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors for 1960's to 1980's Japanese Vehicles... Bridgestone, Datsun, Hodaka, Honda, Kawasaki, Landcruiser, Suzuki, Tohatsu, VW, & Yamaha
Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts.
EC - Good stuff for your Moto-scooter
Hitachi Style Connectors

If you have any questions,post them and I'll try and answer as soon as possible. I built Mil-Spec missile test equipment when i worked for General Dynamics/Convair in San Diego Ca.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no experience with motorcycle wiring. i know how to soder and crimp, and have done both before. i have plenty of wire to use and connector. just never done anything with motorcycles. i mean what are the bare things i need for it to run???

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Ignition for the spark, running,turn and brake lights, high and low beam headlight to probably meet the bare minimums for your state.

And instrument lighting for night driving.

The battery charging circuit will have to be retained unless you plan on replacing the battery with a capacitor(ask at kz rider about this step) this will not work if you have only electric start not kick start.

Three websites come to mind:

1.KZrider.com - Home a member "Loudhvx" could probably make you a "Bare Bones" wiring diagram.

2.www.kz650info.com is another website for 650's.

3.wiredgeorge motorcycle carburetors - Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Carburetor Sales, Rebuilding and Restoration - Home (he has a forum there).

·
Registered
818 Posts
If I were you I'd try to keep the harness intact and pull any unused leads in and tuck them away out of sight. I cut up the harness on my SR500 and now I regret it. If I had it to do over I'd do exactly what I just told you.

Unless you're seriously good with wiring and circuitry, I'd not do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks alot guys! any advice for me is helpfull. i really dont care to have the instruments but i may have to just leave them being how this IS my 1st project and i would really like to get this going instead of just hacking all to hell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts