Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need risiers and if so what are my options?
Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
148 Posts
First what type of bike are you riding? Many types of risers and handel bar bends could get you to the comfort zone and mustang and corbin make comfortable seats with backrest, kinda pricey but craftmanship is unmatched. Or mabey the back is a little rusty from sustaining a position its not used to, so stretch a little before you ride and during your rest stops. Good luck be safe and welcome to the boards.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I'm not sure how different the Meanie is from my 1500 Classic....but if your like me....you'll want to buy reisers to make your ride very comfy. Before I added risers I had a constant neck ache (two neck fusions don't help) and after I added the 4x1 risers which brought the bars back about 1 1/2 inches.....it made riding easy for me.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You might just need to get used to riding. My entire body used to be very sore after even moderate rides. Once you get used to riding a lot then you can usually go a long way without getting sore at all. This is all on a sportbike with racing re****ts, and lowered clip-ons.

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
Agree with Freakinout...... Give it a chance before you do anything. My Marauder did the same thing to me for awhile. After a ride it felt like a workout at the gym. Once your muscles get used to it, you may not need the risers, then you can spend the cash on a different accessory.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Meanie is the only bike that DOESN'T give me some sort of ache in the back. The seating position (and the seat) is the most comfortable I have ever experienced on a bike. But I'm 6'3", so no problems reaching the stock bars.
Regards, and congrats on the new purchase. You made a wise choice.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

my drivers backrest helped my back on long rides more than risers
ever did :p

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
bdluz said:
Do I need risiers and if so what are my options?
Thanks, Brian
I assume you are under the six foot level and you're leaning slightly forward caused the backache. In this case, a drivers backrest won't do anything for you since one needs to lean back for it to provide proper function. You can either purchase riser extensions or a set of risers and bars to bring you back to a comfortable upright position. Some riders find extensions adequate comfort while others, such as myself, resorted to risers and bars. The extensions and some combos of risers and bars will allow to use the stock hoses and wires while others will result in new purchases.

I use 8" pullback risers with HD Road King bars. I had to purchase new clutch and brake hoses only while moving the wiring in front of the triple tree. To determine what may work for you...sit on your bike and with hands grasping imaginary bars, envision the reach you are seeking. Have someone measure the distance your hands are from the stock bars and conclude the extra reach needed. Then start searching for the right combo of bars and risers. It could become a bit expensive ($200 to $400) but I think it's well worth the price compared to back problems.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Meanie.....not to dispute your input.....I would like to say that I bought both the pullback risers and a backrest and for me....that combo has made riding on extended rides very comfortable. Of course I have long arms so I can take advantage of the backrest.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
whistle clean said:
Meanie.....not to dispute your input.....I would like to say that I bought both the pullback risers and a backrest and for me....that combo has made riding on extended rides very comfortable. Of course I have long arms so I can take advantage of the backrest.
There's an exception to every rule. You are either over 6 feet tall, have a longer torso or, as you stated, you have longer arms. The majority of us shorter riders find the stock riding position very uncomfortable on the lower back.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I had to add risers to my 1500 Classic. They've really fixed the strain on my back. I bought the Phat Risers. Of course, I'm a woman who's 5'5", so I think the stock 1500 was just a bit too big for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I love my Mean Streak, but I felt like I was leaning too far forward to be as comfortable as I would have liked with the stock bars. (I'm 5' 8" if that matters.) I bought 6" pullback risers and drag bars from Aeromach at:http://www.aeromach.net. They helped alot and look really good too. Also, you don't have to get new cables. It brings the bars back about 2". You can also get them from http://www.cruisercustomizing.com, http://www.phatperformance.com, and probably some other motorcycle accessory dealers. Kewlmetal also makes a riser but I don't know much about it. I think it is well worth the expense to pursue risers and/or bars because it can really help make the bike more comfortable.

BTW - Meanie - where did you get 8" pullback risers? Are they also made by HD? I haven't yet come across 8" risers. I like mine, but I'm curious in case I decide that I want even more pullback. Also, if they are HD, did they fit the triple tree without having to drill out the holes to make them bigger? Thanks.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Yes...I agree....and I am tall...6'4" so that would be the difference I'm sure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
risers or Not

Hi:
I own a Vulcan 800 classic and although I had no backache, I felt I was leaning too far forward. I found that just a set of Risers was all I needed. Go to www.scootworks.com and check out their PHAT RISERS. They bring you back a few and up a few and it just might be the combination your looking for. They make a great product out of billet aluminum and installation is simple. They have many other products also for you to smoke your credit card with. Great people to deal with. very helpful and friendly. Your gonna love this place.

·
Registered
875 Posts
meanie bars

if you like the looks of tbars check out the new ones for the meanie at cruiser performance I wish i found them before i bought my low profile tbar from bikers choice

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
MeanieRider said:
BTW - Meanie - where did you get 8" pullback risers? Are they also made by HD? I haven't yet come across 8" risers. I like mine, but I'm curious in case I decide that I want even more pullback. Also, if they are HD, did they fit the triple tree without having to drill out the holes to make them bigger? Thanks.
I bought them from J & P Cycles in 2002. They are Accutronix 8" pullback risers. I haven't seen them since until last week when I viewed a site, which I don't remember right now, and saw them along with a 4" pair. I'll try and remember what site and post back.

The risers have the 1/2" bolt but I bought adapters from Thunder Manufactors. I didn't like the idea of drilling my tree. The adapters work great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A very inexpensive way to lift your bars to a better height is to run down to your local Sears and pick up a pair of 19mm sockets. These go into place between the bar clamp and the top of the triple tree. I put 5 inch sockets on my bike a couple of years ago and causual inspection doesn't reveal a thing. I used my local hardware store as a source of longer bolts (length of OEM bolt plus 5 inches) and self locking nuts. Now my bars are set well back and at a perfect height for me. It took less than $20 to accomplish this. This was done on a 04 1500 Classic BTW.

Good luck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I put Genmar risers on my streak. Move your bars 2 inches up and 1 inch back, cured the knot between my shoulder blades. They sit you up straighter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Risers (genmar) etc and a rider backrest would be your best route (mustang seat and driver backrest combo) although the driver backrest doesn't look that "cool" on a Meanie as it does on a Nomad.

But if you're back is aching after doing those 2 mods, then it's just the bike or shocks or something.

Also give it time, I *****ed and moaned the first few rides out on my Nomad...back was aching too. Now 4 months later....no back pain (my bike came with a backrest already installed).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts