Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject line says it all, pretty much. In order to not grind the gears on the V2K, I have to do a 1st to 2nd shift almost as soon as I get rolling.

It may just be a training issue as my 900, of couse, revved much higher than the V2K does. I keep hitting the limiter on the new one.

Am I just supposed to be doing a fast 1-to-2 shift?

The previous owner tells me he put in 20W-50 Mobil 1, FWIW.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
mine is a *kerchunk!* going into second but it's never made any grinding noises. You do have to do it quite firmly though.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Sounds like you aren't hitting it firmly enough. If you get the clickety-klack noise the dog hasn't engaged.

You do have to shift out of first quick. Its a granny low and the V2K does not rev high. My limiter hits at 5100 on the tach.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
First is so short it won't get you more than 20' before you are going for second. You don't even need it unless you are starting up a hill. If you take the revs up too far the shift up is rough and loud. I changed my gearing with aftermarket pulleys which made first more useful, but it is still short.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has got to be it, then. I've just got to lower my shift points.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
This has got to be it, then. I've just got to lower my shift points.
No necessarily. I shift into 2nd at about 3k/20mph and no issues. Just shift with authority so it knows who's boss. You have to be firm with these V2K's or they get a mind of their own :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts