Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 ninja 600r i have gas leaking out of the carbs even though the fuel is off whay could cause this. The second question is I want to put radial tires on my bike but was told only i cant put radials on my 16inch rims if this is true can my bike handle 17inch rims with out me having to modify it thanks

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Well your petcock and also carb needle and seats are leaking.
Repair them.

And who says that a bikes wheel size means you cannot use radial tires?
The only limiting factory might be a meager selection of radial sizes that fit your bike is all.....also remeber that generally you can go up or down slightly in width and still use a tire, it does not have to be exactly the same width as stock.
Its rare i replace and OEM tire with an identical size.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd suggest turning off the gas,dropping the carb float bowls and see if some crud has stuck to the needle valve seat for the float(s). A cotton swab(Q-tip) with some metal polish(Brasso is a good one) spun with your fingers should remove the problem.

Sometimes floats go bad and develope leaks allowing gas to keep flowing.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Which carb?
You may have to adjust float height or like was said earlier could be float needle valve or trash. If the float sticks sometimes you can rap on the float bowl with a screwdriver or similar item and take care of it. One of my carbs started doing that after I had adjusted the float heights so I just rapped on it and it stopped. You can verify float height with carbs on the bike by the clear hose method. Attach clear hose onto bowl drain and run open end of hose above carb. Loosen drain screw and see how high gas rises in tube.

Sounds like your petcock is leaking too. You can disconnect the fuel line to be sure. If it is leaking it may just need cleaning but you will not know until you take a look inside it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.