Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on the girls bikes. One of the PW80s won't run. I can get it to start, the engine races for about 5 seconds or so and then it dies. If I give it any throttle it dies, if I turn off the choke it dies.

Any ideas of what is wrong with this bike?

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Ya that sure sounds like a carb issue for sure.

Have you tried cleaning it yet, and making sure the float height is correct.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kawpaul - you're the second person to suggest an airleak. Where would I look?

otherwise the plan is to take off the airbox and the carb and clean them up. the air filter should be brand new and the carbs were supposed to have been cleaned once, but I guess I need to do it myself.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
kawpaul - you're the second person to suggest an airleak. Where would I look?

otherwise the plan is to take off the airbox and the carb and clean them up. the air filter should be brand new and the carbs were supposed to have been cleaned once, but I guess I need to do it myself.
An airleak affecting it could be between the carn and engine, or the crankcase seals.

I would double check the carb to.

Who knows how well the last person to open the carb up did of a job, or that its not got old gas in it, or dirty gas, and plugged again.

Or if it has an airleak from airfilter to carb boot, then it will get dirt into the carb that way to.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Maybe a little history of the bike is in order. How long have you had the bike and was it running fine before? Did you do anything to it to cause it to act this way like fiddle with the carbs, install a new air filter, or do anything to the engine? With the engine racing and not taking gas it sounds like an airleak. 2 strokes especially are very finicky with any type of air leak.

The best way to check is do a leak-down on the engine but you also may be able to do some checking with a little brain storming. Start it and cover most of the air inlet with your hand and see if it keeps running. If you can get it to run a bit take some wd 40 or something similar that is somewhat flammable and spray around the carb intake and air box boot, anywhere where air could get in. It you have an air leak there the engine will speed up. If it does not that does not eliminate the possibility because a seal on the crank could be leaking. That is why a leak-down test works best.

If you still cannot find the problem and decide you want to do a leak-down test you can google to see how or even ask here. But I would not try that until I had exausted other trouble shooting methods.

Keep us informed.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new filter
clean carbs. I took it all apart and checked.

$!%$#%[email protected]#$%@ [email protected]#[email protected]# %@#$% [email protected]#[email protected] smoocher.

I can spray some of that starting fluid in the intake and get it to start up and run for a while. It seriously looks like it isnt getting any fuel.

but it does run!

history:
bought the bike back in April/May. It's was a POS then and is now, but it was running. no idea what happened to it before that point in time. We beat the tarnation out of it for a few weekends and it just got harder and harder to start. Took it to a shop (North Texas SuperBikes - good shop) they disassembled and cleaned the carb, put in a new air filter and spark plug. They also said there was mud everywhere - in the carb, in the head, etc. they cleaned it all. They couldnt get it to idle so they only charged a diagnostic fee and for parts. Said to bring it back when their 2stroke guy was back. I just bought another pw80 instead and left this one in the garage.

Anyway, I did some work on our TTR-50 and got it running so I decided to spend some quality time with this bike now. Yesterday I was able to get it to start but it would spin up like it had the throttle stuck wide open and then die after a few seconds.
This morning I took it all apart to see if I could find anything. The exhaust pipe has a lot of carbon in it, but the carb looked good. I need to get some information on the screws that are used to adjust it to see if maybe they are just way out of whack.

However, as I said - I could spray some of that engine starter stuff in the intake and it will start right up and run for a while. I can even twist the throttle a bit but it dies like it isnt getting any fuel.

Maybe I'll indulge my inner exhibitionist and video it and post it on youtube. It'll be just like your standing in my drive way. Just bring a beer and you'll feel right at home ;)

sort of.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
woo hooo!
It runs! I even got to run it around the culdesac a few times (******** running wild).

However - it runs as long as the choke is on. We've adjusted the carbs as much as we can and the engine pulls strong (I weight 220lbs and the little pw80 is a scream to play around with). But as soon as the choke is turned off the engine sputters and dies.

we did everything hardtail suggested and that helped. We swapped the fuel line to one w/o a filter also.

·
TRIPLE NUT
240 Posts
trust me...you didnt get the carb totally cleaned out..do the jets/passages again..i make a cleaning "tool "..get a piece of small gauge stranded wire remove the insulation as needed and twist the strands together...then use it
like a lil drill to clear the jets and passages out..its soft enough that theres no worry of reaming passages bigger

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okie dokie

BTW - I apperciate all the feedback. I really see why fuel injection is so popular. Carbs are a PITA.

I'm thinking I'll just hook up the can of easy start to the bike and have a little button to just keep squirting it in when needed :D

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
I really see why fuel injection is so popular. Carbs are a PITA.
Fuel injection is popular all the way up until they have to replace injectors or some of the associated electronics. Or when they need the system modified to suit their changes to the exhaust/intake. Then it's the FI thats a PITA. Carbs can be a pain if they aren't right but once you get them right and maintain them properly they're great. On the flip side of that PITA part, when you have problems with carbs, pretty much anyone with fair mechanical abilities can repair them with some cheap parts and a little time. When you have problems with the FI you better get ready to take a second mortgage out on the house. :lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gents: Probably a plugged low speed jet is the characteristic of only running with the choke on. The choke is another low speed jet but lots richer, so running with the choke is just switching fuel circuits. For a small engine like this the low speed jet probably needs a magnifying lens to to see the orifice, at least for these old eyes. To probe the jets, I take apart a multistrand copper wire like lamp cord. One of the strands is about the right size, and soft so as to not damage the jet. Keep working..............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.