Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Hey congrats! I finally passed that milestone also - 20,604 today.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
...just make sure you have adjusted your valves...and enjoy your ride!

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Very cool. Our 900s are great bikes. And yeah, Pawky, where are you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Vulcan900, have you or NewRoadie ever had valves adjusted on those 900's with that kind of mileage? Just curious, cause I have 12k on mine and everything seems to be doing fine. But I have heard that I think around 16k you should have them checked. Also read on this forum that some have gone 26k and up to 34k w/o any valve check or adjustment. Just wondering if they will go more than 16k w/o any problems. Trying to keep from spending that $400 to $600 for nothing, if no adjustment is really needed.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
Hey Vulcan900, have you or NewRoadie ever had valves adjusted on those 900's with that kind of mileage? Just curious, cause I have 12k on mine and everything seems to be doing fine. But I have heard that I think around 16k you should have them checked. Also read on this forum that some have gone 26k and up to 34k w/o any valve check or adjustment. Just wondering if they will go more than 16k w/o any problems. Trying to keep from spending that $400 to $600 for nothing, if no adjustment is really needed.
This thread should offer some good info for you. Spend the $80-$90 on a shim kit and do it yourself...it's really not that tough.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Hey Vulcan900, have you or NewRoadie ever had valves adjusted on those 900's with that kind of mileage? . . . .
I checked my valves at 16,000 miles. I am an auto mechanic and pretty anal about my bike, as in I don't trust most mc techs yet. I find that when I know more about the bike than my tech, there is a problem. BTW, I may have found a tech that knows enough that I may let them actually do something to my bike . . .

Anyway, I ordered up a shim kit and only 3 (all exhaust valves) of the 8 valves were out of spec. They were all slightly tight, so I inserted shims that put the clearance on the loose end of the specs. I am glad that I did this myself for the first time. It helps to have a micrometer to measure the old and the new shims. The service manual helped, but I still had to use different shims to get it perfect (like I said-anal). It's really not difficult, just take your time. Make sure you stuff a rag around any holes that the shims can drop down into the cases. I think total time was about 1 hour 15 minutes.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
In addition to the valves, I just replaced my spark plugs (20,604). I inspected them at 6,000 miles and they looked great. I have been having too much fun riding and started worrying about the miles on the plugs and rechecked them. They still looked good enough, but I replaced them. I did notice that the front spark plug was a little difficult to get out with 14,000 miles since I removed it. I always use anti-sieze and so now I will at least check them every 10,000 so the threads can be relubed.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I paid almost $600 to have the valve clearance checked at 16,000 miles along with a brake fluid and coolant change, new plugs, air filter, and cables lubed. I was told everything was in spec. but have started to wonder as there is a lot of valve clatter. I understand that all engines that have solid tappets/lifters require some play and will tap, but man this thing gets loud when it’s hot. After seeing some of the write-ups on here about how to do the job I will probably have a look-see myself before the next scheduled interval. Just need to find the time.

I also have about 12,000 of my own miles on the V2K (purchased with about 6,000 on the clock). So that's about 32,000 in two years... and maybe 1,000 on my Jeep.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I was told everything was in spec.
After doing my last inspection myself I find it hard to believe that they were all still in spec. Think you got lied to. They aren't hard to do. I set them to the higher side of the specs when I could. At 30K only 2 were still in spec. Supposively only was one out at 15K when I let the dealer do it.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I said, I will be doing it again myself here shortly.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Congratulations! May the next 20 lead to 100 k more. and don't forget to let me know when you plan on doing Roosters or Bike night at the Buffalo place.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hats off to all you people with lots of miles on your bike! At the rate I'm going my bike will be 10 years old before it hits 20,000 miles. I'd love to hear more from higher mileage 900 owners so I know what to expect in the future. There was that thread with the guy getting is engine fixed that implied the 900 is wore out at 40,000...hopefully not the case.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
I paid almost $600 to have the valve clearance checked at 16,000 miles along with a brake fluid and coolant change, new plugs, air filter, and cables lubed. I was told everything was in spec. but have started to wonder as there is a lot of valve clatter. I understand that all engines that have solid tappets/lifters require some play and will tap, but man this thing gets loud when it’s hot. After seeing some of the write-ups on here about how to do the job I will probably have a look-see myself before the next scheduled interval. Just need to find the time.

I also have about 12,000 of my own miles on the V2K (purchased with about 6,000 on the clock). So that's about 32,000 in two years... and maybe 1,000 on my Jeep.

Your bill for a complete service including parts was ONLY $392.91 which unless I'm wrong ain't no where near $600, at least not in my wallet. I didn't do the work on your bike but I assisted and I can tell you for a fact that the valves WERE 100% in spec, all of them! Have a nice day and enjoy doing all of your own work from now on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts