Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this one before i bought this bike new in 2000 have never had a mins problem with it , i changed the oil and checked it three times now and it is not over full , but it is putting oil into the bottom of the breather box ? It does not smoke and runs great all kinds of power and you would never know there was a problem besides the few drips of oil from the breather box , I cleaned the air filter also . Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
My immediate reaction is the valves and timing chain have not been properly adjusted and you are getting some reversion that is blowing fuel from the carburetor into the filter, and washing oil to the bottom of the breather box.

·
Registered
628 Posts
How long does it take for the engine to begin to blow oil out into the airbox?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About 10mins of running , it looks like to me there is a tube coming from the crank case to the bottom of the breather box .

·
Registered
628 Posts
The tube running from the crankcase is the crankcse vent and the source of your oil. The most likely cause is improper oil level but even if you drained the excess oil out it will take time for the baffling to drain back into the bottom end or blow out and into the airbox. If I were you, I'd make sure you've got it absolutely level to recheck that oil and the leave it sitting for a day or two to allow the oil to drain back down out of the baffling.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Even if it does continue to drip small amounts of oil it's probably nothing to worry about. It will take time to clear the baffling and tubing of all oil. You just wouldn't want to run out of oil in the crankcase and at 4 quarts in that cavernous crankcase there's little worry about that as long as you keep an eye on it.

If it's blowing out large volumes (and continues to do so) you might want to run a dry and wet compression test on your engine. Rings get stuff stuck in them and over time lose their spring tension and as they age they allow more and more compression to slide by. The baffling and tubing are there to allow the blow-by out of the crankcase without blowing out a seal but if you're getting excessive amounts of blow-by the baffling isn't adequate to drain the oil from the air and it will blow up the tube and into your airbox. If it's never been apart it may be time for a refresh on the top end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts