Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kawaski 300 Prarie 2000 4*4, recently was running fine. Now it wont rev up in any gear D-N-R. Like it has a rev limiter or a belt reset switch some where. The fastest you can go is 10mph, I have even turned the choke on to see if its a fuel problem and no change but a backfire. I believe this problem is electrical, it is a consistant problem, not random. I have taken this thing all apart and can't find anything. Please help. Also it seems to heat up more than usual at idle when sitting there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have the same machine, except mine is a 4x2. I’ve put a new carb, new belt, gas tank is clean, only use non ethanol fuel, adjusted the valves & have the exact same problem (sounds like). Was running great & all the sudden lost power, idles & cranks great, but once you get past half throttle... RPM’s don’t change.... it’ll run all day at half throttle but will not accelerate past half throttle, doesn’t spit, sputter, or backfire. Sounds just like a rev limiter. Was just wondering if you had found the problem???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same machine, except mine is a 4x2. I’ve put a new carb, new belt, gas tank is clean, only use non ethanol fuel, adjusted the valves & have the exact same problem (sounds like). Was running great & all the sudden lost power, idles & cranks great, but once you get past half throttle... RPM’s don’t change.... it’ll run all day at half throttle but will not accelerate past half throttle, doesn’t spit, sputter, or backfire. Sounds just like a rev limiter. Was just wondering if you had found the problem???

I'm having the same issue as you let me know if you find a solution please tried everything I could think of

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue as you let me know if you find a solution please tried everything I could think of
Hi loftis 841, I’m still having the same issue, took carb off & cleaned it again & adjusted the valves.....still acting the same, I’m like you I think it’s electrical, but I don’t have clue where to start looking. If I find anything I’ll let you know

·
Registered
926 Posts
how's the battery?

A lot kawasaki's need a HOT battery in order to run properly. Good way to tell if there is a electrical/spark issue is to turn the headlights on LOW, see if the "rev limit" improves. Then move it to high beam and if it revs a little higher, you have an electrical problem. Could be battery, charging system, wiring, CDI, etc. But yes, they require a good hot battery and will not run properly without it.

IF battery is guaranteed good (12.8v no load), start the engine & check the charging voltage. If it goes up over 15v, you have a regulator or wiring problem, and that too will cause the engine to run poorly.

If charging voltage is good, battery is good, start the engine and tap lightly on the CDI. If the engine starts to rev, or dies while lightly tapping the CDI, the CDI is bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts