Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a KVF400, 2 wheel drive. runs w/o issue, however, when I give it gas, there is a delay. the motor responds immediately, but the unit doesn't start to move until the motor revs a good bit. once moving, there is very little delay. i pulled the cover off of the clutches, everything is working (all parts of the clutches, belt is in good working order, springs are working, no slop in the shaft or clutch mounts). i didn't note the clearances between the clutch bodies, but there was very little play and the bushings were in good order as well. I've never had an "automatic" atv, so not much experience, but it feels like an engine brake, even though the unit doesn't have one. I can compress the spring by hand about 1/2 an inch, but not any further. I jacked the unit up, put it in gear, the clutch is expanding. the belt doesn't grab immediately. i'm going to sand down the faces of the clutches, as they are really smooth and since i have to pull the clutches, i'll replace the belt. anything else i need to look at while i'm in there?

·
Registered
876 Posts
This is usually due to worn belt. Check the width of the belt first. If it's within spec, look closely at the front sheave's surfaces, specifically down low where the belt is riding all the time at low speeds. If you see any grooving there, it's junk. Replace either the two faces or the entire sheave assembly depending on how froggy you're feeling about rebuilding it. Look real close at the VERY bottom of the sheave, they are smoothly tapered all the way end to end, if it's severely worn, you'll see a "lip" at the very bottom of the surfaces, usually about 1/16" in width and depending on how worn it is, can be anywhere from 1/32" to 3/16" in "height". I don't know any other way to explain it, I just know what to look for...it's obvious if it's worn.

KVF400 parts are getting harder to find, BTW, so keep that in the back of your mind. My coworker has one and loves it but he's found out that some parts are NLA from kawasaki so he can't fix certain things properly. One is the wiring harness , so we're having to completely rebuild it. Yay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did inspect those clutch plates the belt rides on, found no issues. The belt measured at 1 inch in width. Apparently that’s off/out of tolerance by a good bit. Parts wise, I hope I don’t need a wiring harness!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts