Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just done a top end rebuild on my kx80,cylinder has been replated put in new piston, rings,gaskets and plug, the problem is i put it all together and it fired up 1st time and then it just stopped and now it wont start even put some fuel into plug hole still no joy,have good spark.can anyone help my head is done in.

·
Registered
917 Posts
well the plug should not be wet. Too much gas. Kick it over with the plug removed/kill switch in to remove some excess gas. Don't give it throttle when trying.

A fresh rebuild will cause rich condition cause suction is increased. But it will boil down to carb adjustment. The fuel / air mixture has to be right. I have experienced start/die/ wet plug many times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tried wot you advised,a little bit of life but still not starting will look more into carb as plug is still wet,would to much 2sroke oil when fitting cylinder hve any thing to do with it.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
917 Posts
most often during a rebuild the air filter is cleaned covered with a fresh batch of oil which also causes the rich condition to be even worse.

Often carb floats can get stuck cause the carb has been removed and laid down. Had that happen a few times. Sometimes tapping carb with rubber mallet frees them up.

You can turn your air screw 2-3 turns out and try that to add air. Make sure cable is not pulling slide up or idle screw is in too far. Your carb is most likely the problem, but may be spark has gone weak. Hard to say over he internet.

A little squirt of ether or a drop or two of gas in the plug hole is often what i do to get fire. Go for ether or carb cleaner if you have to if it is a rich condition. Do at your own risk and do not run the motor on a bunch of it. You can tell if it fires and how quickly it dies. You have to play around with it and it sucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your still having problems I suggest pulling the cylinder back off and check to make sure everything is seating correctly I have had rings seat incorrectly and cause compression loss. I have also seen flywheel keys break off and that was a problem on a YZ80 I had about 4 years ago. But definately check all your simple compression issues first. Does it try to start at all or just nothing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.