Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salutations Kawasaki Community,

Quick question: I noticed there was a pretty noticeable oil leak on the left side of my bike. Around the cam head plugs. To the point where there would be speckles of oil on my pant leg whenever I rode. I swung by a mechanic and they suggested changing the valve cover gasket, reed valve gasket, and head plugs. With parts and labour and all they were quoting around $330. I was just wondering if this was a fair estimation price-wise.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from everyone.

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
Well if the gaskets all just popped off clean, then the price would be high. Unfortunately, the valve cover gasket has a tendency to stick to the cylinder head like snot to a screen door. It may take the dealer an hour or more just to clean the surface so the new gasket can do its job. I spent several hours cleaning mine just recently and on my bike (ZN1100) the coils had to be removed in order to remove the valve cover. I think coil removal for valve cover removal is common to many of the KZ 4 cylinder bikes. So that all adds to the bill.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Most likely by your description is from the plugs. No matter, you have to remove valve cover and replace gasket all the same. The plugs are affixed by high temperature black silicone and eventually may harden and tend to break. You don't have to replace them new, but does not hurt and are not expensive. If you wonder why they are there, are for plugging the openings for allowing the boring machine making the camshaft bearings.

…….Up to you if you want to pay for this. Is rather superficial really, very easy, and rather educational if you have never done it. I personally consider this regular maintenance. Also in my case, have better luck with aftermarket valve cover gasket than the factory, which is basically not reusable, tend to stick, and have to be scraped, but then again, I've a newer designed 750 rather than the older 900/1000/1100. I can reuse the aftermarket 2 or 3 times. The valve train is not a high pressure area. The valve cover is merely a splash cover and in my case, it also contains the top camchain tensioner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts