Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum, I am looking around for some advice on a bike I saw, Having just returned from a year in Iraq, I have some spending cash, and today saw someone selling a 2000 ZX6R Ninja for $4000, it looks as though it was laid down at low speed on the pipe (yoshimura, I don't think that is a stock pipe) there is a small amount of road rash on the pipe itself, other than that, it has about 8K miles on it, and seems to ride fairly smooth for the 5-10 minutes I was riding it. My question(s) are, first, is there anything mechanically that is chronically wrong with these bikes? and whether or not to get it for myself, it is "technichally" my first bike, but for the past 2 months, my only means of transportation has been my father's 2001 Fat Boy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought a 2004 ZX6R. Out the door (tax, tag, title), $7,600. I would try to get a new one if you can afford it. Kawasaki has awesome financing right now. That's not much more than what you would spend on that bike. At least this way you know nothing is wrong.

While I do know the owner of the shop I bought the bike from, you can get deals if you talk to them and they know you have money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a very big thing about buying new vehicles, plus, as my "first" bike, (first one I own any way) I don't want a new one because I know I am going to drop it at some point, either at a stop light (hopefully) or while riding, in fact, one of the first things I plan on doing with the bike when/if I buy it, it take it to a nice soft grassy spot and push it over on its side, just to get it out of the way =)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
USED

First of all, IF it had 16" wheels on it I'd leave it alone...just a presonal preference that I'm upset about. I think that the price is to high...but if you want to take it to a Kawasaki shop and have them go through it for you it would be advised...for the money you should be able to get a great new Ninja ZX-6R or even a 6RR...with that much money down you could finance the rest or just pay the differrence the new ones have all sorts of great stuff. Go online and order the pamphlet and also go to our Sponsor BeartoothKawasaki and look at the bikes colors and things tha tthe new ones have...MY personal money would be for a new one as tehy are much better now than they were in the past...Both the new 599 and 536 are awesome bikes! check them out and go set on them...asking is one thing setting on the actual machines is something tha words can't give you...find one that fits...I hear that the ZX-10R is as awsome as they come...Fortuanately for my wallet the dealer can't keep one on the floor long enough for me to actually set on...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, as I said, it is a first bike for me, so I don't want the 10R (yes I do) nor do I want a new bike, that being said, it does have 17 inch wheels, as well as the yoshimura exhuast, the stock mudflap has already been removed, and there is a rear fender on the bike that I have not seen in any pictures of a stock bike, and only very rarely in any pictures at all, which leads me to believe that it is a custom piece. as far as price goes, if I really wanted to, I could go pay cash for a nice new Busa, but I value my life. =)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kelly Blue Book value on a 2000 ZX6R:

Retail: $4,750
Trade-In: $3,270

I would offer the guy a price towards what trade-in value is worth. Then it will be worth it as long as it runs and looks in good condition.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The price is a little steep

The price is still a little steep considering it's age...but it dows have some great pieces on it..the pipes are quite expensive...Check with your insurance on what your premiums are then check with several other companies...You may be okay on the bike with the price...definately check out teh wear and age of the tires...Still you're not that far away from the difference in a new bike...

·
Registered
395 Posts
CodeNULL said:
one of the first things I plan on doing with the bike when/if I buy it, it take it to a nice soft grassy spot and push it over on its side, just to get it out of the way =)
ROFL! Now there's an idea!

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Hello, if i may say something. Money speaks louder than words, I'm sure you could get it for $3500 if you pull the money in cash out on him. Cash has huge power, Poeple love money, just let me see a huge wad of 35 100 dollar bills, he'll fold. Just say, " I'll give you $3500 right now, and I'll ride it outta here now." I must say, the new ZX-6R will give you much less trouble, plus its a mo'betta bike, But its your dicision, so buy what you will.

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a zx6r 2001 and my friends and strangers constantly compliment this awesome bike.... I bought mine for 4500 and because of the awesome Green color and the awesome shape it was in... I consider it a deal... only one thing to do is take a buddy that REALLY knows sportbikes... to check it out... I am very pleased... rather pay a bit more for something good than buy junk for less...

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have a 07 zzr600 which is the same bike besides the paint colors. from what i have read it's a great bike. i have never heard anything bad about it. just think about it. they took the zx6r from 98-02 and renamed it and still sell the crap out of them. i think 4000 is a little steep i would offer him 3500 and don't give more than 3750 for it. the only reason i say that is that it has been dropped and that would bring down the price when you go to trade it off or sell it for another bike. you are right about not wanting to get a new bike and i don't blame you. 4000 for a 2000 zx6 is not that bad if you got the money you can always get some new parts for the bike and make it look new again. it's also a pretty good bike to learn on as long and you take the MSF class and take it easy at first.

go for it man you will love it. 8000 miles is nothing

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I don't think $4K is a horrible mid-season price, but I would try to talk him down a few hundred at least. I have a '99, and love the bike, except mine has some electrical issues right now that I'm working on. That's pretty low mileage. I don't think you can go wrong with this bike seeing as though you aren't a complete newb to two wheels + motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think 4000 is steep for the bike. i paid 7200 hundred for my 2007 zzr600 wich is basically the same bike with just a little toned down engine. buying a used sport bike i would be a little hesitant not knowing how the first owner broke it in. the break in period is very important to performance and reliability. i would just fork out the extra couple thousand or finiance it, atleast you will have that added security knowing you are the first owner. kawasaki offers a 6 year warranty for cheap. just look at kawasakis website and look at the zzr600 it looks the same almost exactly.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i think 4000 is steep for the bike. i paid 7200 hundred for my 2007 zzr600 wich is basically the same bike with just a little toned down engine. buying a used sport bike i would be a little hesitant not knowing how the first owner broke it in. the break in period is very important to performance and reliability. i would just fork out the extra couple thousand or finiance it, atleast you will have that added security knowing you are the first owner. kawasaki offers a 6 year warranty for cheap. just look at kawasakis website and look at the zzr600 it looks the same almost exactly.
The ZZR doesn't have a toned down version of that motor, it has the exact same one. Only difference is color and the ZZR sticker on it. LOVE mine!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Uhhhh you need to check with your manufacturer on that... the gear ratio is different... the frame dials and cosmetics(except the windscreen frame) is the same... its how the engine is geared that is different... you can get the zzr geared like that, but it will cost you around 450-600 to get it done.. I know this because my best friend has one and I eat him up, and mine is completley stock.... the dealer told him the same thing... its exactly the same... he found out later that it is geared more to the street than the track... some ratio blah blah blah... so he got quoted around 450-600 to get it done parts and labor... the mechanic told him its normal for all manufacturers of sportbikes to release a toned down version of a previous model for newbies or someone that doesn't need to go 170... just look how Honda has done it for years... the naked 919 is the old CBR 900 engine, but I can tell you first hand it is geared way different... line up an old cbr 900 next to the 919 and you will see the 919 getting smoked, even on a straight away...

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
i didnt take the time to read all the posts above me, but just to answer your question... i have a 2001 ZX-6r and i believe they are pretty much the same bike... i have had no problems and have 11k on mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts