Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any assistance you can provide. My 01 1500FI has been an outstanding bike thus far. I ride it several times per week, so it does not suffer from neglect. Yesterday (Monday) I tried to start it, but after punching the starter for roughly 2-3 seconds, on 3-4 occasions, it just would not fire. Tried it again tonight. Same result. Please note, I just rode it on Saturday and it fired perfectly-no hitches or issues. I opened up the gas tank to vent any fumes, closed it, and tried to start the bike again. Still no fire. Please note, it seems like I smelled gas fumes even before I vented the tank.

Any thoughts on why it will not fire, when it ordinarily does? Thanks again for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
~ It's a 1500 Mean Steak ?
~ Does the FI light come on ?
~ Have you got a Meter to check the cranking voltage. (At the Battery)
~ Any Mod's to the Bike ?
~ And last but not least, How many miles has the bike done ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I guess I should have been more comprehensive.

-It is a 1500 Classic FI
-I didn't check to see if the FI light came on or not. But I think the little red FI light comes on when I turn on the key
-I don't have a meter to check the cranking voltage, but it seems to be normal-very powerful.
-Only mod is the cobra shotgun pipes.
-Mileage is approximately 15K.

I'm stopping by the dealer on my way home from work today to pick up new spark plugs. These have never been changed and the dealer suggested it.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Yep with that mileage the plugs may have decided to expire or foul up.

Let us know if they cure or improve the situation..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New plugs did the trick. Yeah! Thanks for your help. Fired on the first punch-and there isn't a sweeter sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts