Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2001 2510 Mule Diesel at a smoking price but it needs some work. Main problem I see right from the start is there is no coolant, when I tried to fill it up I realized that both radiators have leaks in them. So I am going to pull those off today and see about getting them repaired. Another main problem that it has is there is no power. I mean the engine will start right up no problem but when I put it in gear it will move but bearly, like it has no power. I was thinking it might be something with the belt or the clutches but not real sure. The guy I bought it from said the head gasket was just replaced, I was thinking maybe this was due to the coolant leaks? Anyways I just wanted to get some input on why it may have no power or what are the first things I should check, after repairing the obvious radiator leaks of course. I have already got ahold of the shop service and repair manual with tons of specs and information in it.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
First, do not run it with no or low coolant, that is a sure fire way to crack a head and then you have no power and a huge repair bill.

Low power is a term that applies if the engine is not getting up to operating rpm or runs out of power. If that is the case the following likely applies:

Generally when the diesel is low on power it is a fuel pump, fuel filter, or fuel tank venting issue. It can be that it needs valve adjustment, or even may be a problem with water in the fuel that has damaged the injection pump or the injectors.

If the engine cranks right up, picks up rpm like it should and the engine does not bog or run out of power, then it is likely a belt or clutch issue, or both, with the torque converter system.

You can see how they are constructed on Kawasaki.com by following the links to the parts diagrams for the torque converter.

My recommendation is to use the service and repair manual and walk through the diagnostic steps outlined therein.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. - just finished pulling the radiators out and can see the cracks in both.. Hopefully the can be repaired.. I only ran it for just a few min at a time when I did. Like when I purchased it we tried to drive it up the loading ramps onto the trailer and it didn't even have the power to make it up.. I knew I was getting myself into a project but I'm just not real sure how big or expensive of one yet.. I already have the service and repair manual so after I get the radiators back on I will try some trouble shooting out.. thatnks again for giving me ideas of where to start..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I took the radiators in to the repair shop and they pretty much told me that they are not repairable.. I was looking at prices on the new ones and the cheapest I could find are like $500 each and I need two of them! :eek: So Im wondering does anyone think it might be possible to use radiators off a small car like a geo metro or something? Im wondering if they would even be comparable in size... Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing anything like that?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Converting to one larger capacity radiator is entirely possible, but takes quite a bit of skill. I sent you a PM on this topic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts