Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that two or three times, so I do not think it was just a coincidence. What happens is that if I accidentally kill the engine by releasing the clutch and not twisting the throttle than the engine won't start for a while. It happens when the engine is hot. It does not seem to be the case for the cold engine but I did not try to reproduce it intentionally. It feels like something in the electrical (starter) circuits prevents it from starting. The starter won't even react on the engine start button. Engine cut-off switch is definitely ON, the kick-stand is up, the clutch is disengaged. But there is no sound, not even a relay click when I push START... But after a while (did not try to measure this time but something sustantial definitely over 3 minutes) the engine starts as if nothing happened.

What can it be? Is normal for that bike? Also, it it really bad to kill the engine by twisting the key and not with the big red button?

Let me know if I poorly described symptomes and I'll try again!

Cheers,
/Sergey

·
Registered
456 Posts
You got me. My starter always works. There is no reason that you should have to wait for the engine to cool down in order to start. It shouldn't matter how you stop the bike. The starter should always kick in no matter what. So something is wrong, but I'm not sure what it could be.

My manual specifically says to turn the key to stop the engine. But I always use the red kill switch instead. I can't think of any reason why it would make any difference. I just like getting the engine shut off right away, before I can do something stupid like let go of the clutch. It's so convenient to hit the kill switch with my thumb.
Curt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, forgot to mention that it starts ok is push-started. That tells me that the starter circuitry gets disabled rather than the whole thing. Horn and lgihts are working too.

Curt, thanks for expressing your thoughts!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GPZBob said:
Sounds like the kickstand switch is sticking. That's why mine is cut off and the wires twisted together.
Are you sure that the kickstand switch would matter to starting the engine (breaking the starter's power circuit)? I think, it breaks one of the control circuits that can kill the running engine.

Am I wrong? I'm just a newbie so I may be wrong :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
You're not wrong, evolver. I don't think it's the kickstand switch for two reasons:
1. You described the problem even when the clutch is disengaged.
2. You can push-start the bike.

But it does sound like something like that. It may be a bad contact that gets worse when the engine heats up.

If you're ready to do some experimenting, you could try to check the contacts on the key switch and on the starter. Check which wires have voltage. Then see if those same wires have voltage when the engine is warm.

I'm really not sure what the problem could be, but that is what I think I would do to try to narrow it down.

Also, does it happen when the transmission is in neutral? Try putting up the kickstand, holding the clutch, and putting the transmission in neutral. Let us know if that works. If it does, maybe it's time to check the clutch sensor and the neutral sensor.
Curt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curt, thanks for your recommendations but at this point I don't even have a place to work on the bike not even mentioning tools... So, even though I'd love to do dome deep analysis I cannot do it yet.

I tried to reproduce the misbehavior today but all in vain. No matter how I shut the engine down it starts with the button. To tell you the truth that worries me even more because it is no longer a systematic thing... Oh well, I'll live with that for a while until I put the bike through the shop for tune-up, oil change, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts