Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, who here can explain to me the 5 speed w/reverse transmission with the automatic clutch on the 2001 Bayou 220? I am just confused a lil bit, thanks!!!

·
Never quite fixed.
496 Posts
There are two clutches. The first one on the crankshaft is basically a wet centrifugal, very similar to what is on a chainsaw, weedeater etc. Basically when the engine is revved, there are two "shoes" that rest on springs that spread out and grip the drum that sits over them spinning the transmission. When the engine is at idle the springs hold the shoes off the drum, which is why the quad doesn't stall while left in gear. If one is worn out it will slip and not have much power, but the more common problem is when a spring breaks or falls off and the quad jumps when you put it in gear and stalls when you try to stop it.

The secondary is your run of the mill wet clutch. There are a series of friction disks and plates that seperate and squeeze together to drive the wheels. This one disengages when you move the shifter pedal up or down and separates power from the engine and transmission. It works similarly to an automotive clutch but submerged in oil. These will wear out and slip or if you are using the wrong oil will stick together and you won't be able to shift through gears easily.

The shift pattern on these is RN12345. Reverse is down one on the pedal and the rest of the gears are up. These have a reverse lockout feature that makes it so you have to turn the knob on the left side by the gas tank backwards to shift into reverse. If it stuck open you won't be able to find neutral easily. It will go right to reverse from 1st and from reverse to first. These also have a feature where 90% of the time it will automatically shift from reverse to first. They are pretty easy to operate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Automatic Clutch???

So I know the technical side, but will it hurt it if I shift it without the clutch engaged? can I just run through the gears with reverse being the exception of course?

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I know the technical side, but will it hurt it if I shift it without the clutch engaged? can I just run through the gears with reverse being the exception of course?
There is no clutch. I have the exact model and have no issues running through the gears. If there is anything about the ATV that I do not like, it would be the reverse...it's a bit cumbersome in my opinion.

I do have a question about oil. What is the recommended oil for the Bayou 220?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
depending on weather 10w40 (cooler weather) or 20w 50 (hot weather only)
but it has to be a motor cycle blend oil for it has modifiers in it for the wet clutchs.where as a regular engine oil used for autos will damage the friction plates and cause itll cause it to slip or do sum funny things while rideing,like hard to engage gears ets.

if i remeber it takes 2 qts to fill just in case any one needs that bit of info

on my bayou it was a auto shift 5 speed i would let off the throotle as if i where pullin in a clucth and then shift in stead of a"power shift" .thats was my preference for shiftin a auto 5 speed-corey-

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
when you put lite pressure on the shift lever the clutch dis engages ,it only move a little to dis engage it.then itll shift into next gear easaily. i was easy on my bayou and its trans it was a 86 after all and i didnt want to break nothin-corey-

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an older model ('95) with an auto clutch. 5 up, neutral and reverse down. You can tell when it needs to shift up by listening to the motor

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The transmission is lubed by the engine oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really appreciate all the information. I joined today. My 2002 Bayou 220 jumps when I put it in reverse or 1st gear. While engine is running, I can't shift. I have to stop the engine and then it will shift in each gear.
I tried to adjust the clutch, but that didn't help. I will change the oil first and try that, just in case things are sticking. I think it has regular auto oil now.
As it stands now, I can find neutral fairly easy and have a green light. I can shift to reverse or first, but the bayou jumps. I can go forward in first gear, but won't shift. I then stop the engine and go back to neutral
and start over. Thanks for any suggestions.
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are two clutches. The first one on the crankshaft is basically a wet centrifugal, very similar to what is on a chainsaw, weedeater etc. Basically when the engine is revved, there are two "shoes" that rest on springs that spread out and grip the drum that sits over them spinning the transmission. When the engine is at idle the springs hold the shoes off the drum, which is why the quad doesn't stall while left in gear. If one is worn out it will slip and not have much power, but the more common problem is when a spring breaks or falls off and the quad jumps when you put it in gear and stalls when you try to stop it.

The secondary is your run of the mill wet clutch. There are a series of friction disks and plates that seperate and squeeze together to drive the wheels. This one disengages when you move the shifter pedal up or down and separates power from the engine and transmission. It works similarly to an automotive clutch but submerged in oil. These will wear out and slip or if you are using the wrong oil will stick together and you won't be able to shift through gears easily.

The shift pattern on these is RN12345. Reverse is down one on the pedal and the rest of the gears are up. These have a reverse lockout feature that makes it so you have to turn the knob on the left side by the gas tank backwards to shift into reverse. If it stuck open you won't be able to find neutral easily. It will go right to reverse from 1st and from reverse to first. These also have a feature where 90% of the time it will automatically shift from reverse to first. They are pretty easy to operate.
I've got a 300 4x4 bayou that jumps in first and reversed die when you come to a stop, so would that mean the centrifugal clutch is bad? I pulled the cover but all the the springs are there.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've got a 300 4x4 bayou that jumps in first and reversed die when you come to a stop, so would that mean the centrifugal clutch is bad? I pulled the cover but all the the springs are there.
one way clutch bad is the most likely culprit assuming the engine runs correctly (idles normally), etc. Does it feel like coming to a stop with a manual transmission equipped car, without pushing the clutch in? Just drags the engine down?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts